Gibson Brands Forums

lyrics?

nikko18

I'm not a Prolific Writer at all, but the few I've written come from different directions. Sometimes it a clever sounding lyric that would make a good chorus, or a Riff or Chord Change. But it's always a little piece that I build on until it grows into a whole song, usually from the Bass up..

When I get an Idea, I'll put my digital camera on Video and record the idea for later use.

Depends, really.

Some tunes have come to me all at once, music and lyrics. Others start as words I put to music. Sometimes they start as a single line... sometimes the music comes first and I have to develop a vocal hook to match the lick or riff.

Sometimes I get an idea for a tune and have to come up with both words and music from scratch... those are the most fun =P~

I do a lot of different things. One of the best practices I've started was something John Lennon did and really helped me develop my lyric writing style because it's something you can practice over and over again. Take the morning's newspaper, open it up, and find a story that's interesting on a personal level. Try to intuit more about what happened in the article than the article says, and write a song about that story.

I seem to go backwards from what most people do. I write the lyrics and then get a tune to go for them.

Archived