Gibson Brands Forums

Are 339s made in Custom Shop or aren't they???

axuality

Thanks for your response IanHenry. 
So the "Custom Shop" models were manufactured in Memphis 
(but Custom Shop manufacturing is only done in Nashville...) 
So We can imagine that the 339 "Custom Shop" and "Memphis" come from the same chain of editing.... That was my question.....

Excuse my English, i use a translator.... 😜

12 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Yes, but true Custom shop guitars are only built in Nashville, it's just that Gibson in their infinite wisdom supplies Custom shop COA's with the, now-defunct Memphis factory, I hope this helps.

The only "Custom Shop" COAs issued with Memphis built ES guitars were for the relatively short lived "Custom Shop Series" models.

Only the ES 339 prototype was designed/built at CS Nashville.

So it is indeed a creation of CS Nashville.

Some leading luthiers from CS Nashville supervised the start-up of the first 500 CS “stamped” examples, but this time in the Memphis factory.

When the supervising luthiers were distributed among the fold, the CS logo disappeared.

The CS Logo is there to remind future collectors of the 339 CS that they are part of the first "original" productions and are therefore not replicas of originals but the first series.

12 hours ago, IanHenry said:

My ES 335 came with one and I don't think it was from the "Custom Shop Series".

What was the year and model?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was not one of the CS Series.  Things were pretty loosey goosey with Gibson regarding all this Memphis Custom web they were spinning.  Probably got confused themselves, 

10 hours ago, Wmachine said:

What was the year and model?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was not one of the CS Series.  Things were pretty loosey goosey with Gibson regarding all this Memphis Custom web they were spinning.  Probably got confused themselves, 

I've checked what Gibson e-mailed me when I bought the Guitar "ES-335 Plain in Cherry finish, nickel hardware, made in 2010 in Memphis US as part of the Custom Shop series.".

So yes, contrary to what I thought, it must be of the Custom Shop Series, but I haven't a clue what that means. 

15 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I've checked what Gibson e-mailed me when I bought the Guitar "ES-335 Plain in Cherry finish, nickel hardware, made in 2010 in Memphis US as part of the Custom Shop series.".

So yes, contrary to what I thought, it must be of the Custom Shop Series, but I haven't a clue what that means. 

I'm glad you asked, I'll tell you what that means. Thanks for confirming what I've been trying to say.  There were number of models that were "adorned" with numerous references to Custom Shop.  Some had the just the word "Custom" used. Some had "Custom Shop" right on the neck of the guitar.  They announced that those models were part of the "Custom  Shop Series" They were simply models that were supposed to be a cut above the standard models.   Gibson had to know there was going to be misunderstandings about that, and I'm sure they wanted that.  You will find little to no info out there about the CSS,  again that had to be intentional.  So we're all now having to pay for Gibson's indiscretions.  Sad thing is that they are really great models and don't need any false hype.  But they are "Custom" in name only.

7 hours ago, Wmachine said:

I'm glad you asked, I'll tell you what that means. Thanks for confirming what I've been trying to say.  There were number of models that were "adorned" with numerous references to Custom Shop.  Some had the just the word "Custom" used. Some had "Custom Shop" right on the neck of the guitar.  They announced that those models were part of the "Custom  Shop Series" They were simply models that were supposed to be a cut above the standard models.   Gibson had to know there was going to be misunderstandings about that, and I'm sure they wanted that.  You will find little to no info out there about the CSS,  again that had to be intentional.  So we're all now having to pay for Gibson's indiscretions.  Sad thing is that they are really great models and don't need any false hype.  But they are "Custom" in name only.

Thanks for the info, when I bought it I always assumed it was just a run-of-the-mill 335, you learn something every day🙂 

I'll toss another monkey wrench into the fan and add to the confusion. My 2008 Larry Carlton ES-335 from the Memphis Custom Shop:

WctErMi.jpg

kR2SDRp.jpg

Custom Shop S/N and decal on back of headstock, Custom Shop case, Custom Shop COA. Orange sticker inside the upper f-hole says Gibson Memphis. Newer Larry Carlton's switched over to become Gibson Memphis and the serial #'s start with ME instead of CS. I'm pretty sure this also happened with the Warren Haynes signature ES-335 also. Ah, the mysteries of Gibson's inner workings.

10 hours ago, JO'C said:

I'll toss another monkey wrench into the fan and add to the confusion. My 2008 Larry Carlton ES-335 from the Memphis Custom Shop:

WctErMi.jpg

kR2SDRp.jpg

Custom Shop S/N and decal on back of headstock, Custom Shop case, Custom Shop COA. Orange sticker inside the upper f-hole says Gibson Memphis. Newer Larry Carlton's switched over to become Gibson Memphis and the serial #'s start with ME instead of CS. I'm pretty sure this also happened with the Warren Haynes signature ES-335 also. Ah, the mysteries of Gibson's inner workings.

You are not throwing anything, you're just not paying attention.   Your guitar did not come from the Memphis Custom Shop.  There was never EVER a Custom Shop in Memphis.  Got it?  As I already explained, what you have is what I explained is a "Custom Shop Series" model.  You're not showing me anything I've not already seen and researched.  Apparently Gibson brainwashed you too.  Honestly, I fully understand why you think it is from a "Custom Shop".   Who wouldn't  But it is nothing more than dishonest marketing by Gibson.  Pretty sad, but true.

So come on guys, let's knock it off about a Custom Shop in Memphis and learn the real truth about these Memphis models.  Sadly this will start up all over again here in probably less than a year.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys hope its ok to jump in here....  I have a 2007 ES-339 sunburst...  When I stuck the serial number into a decoder oinline it says the guitar was made in Nashville, TN

I read in this thread someone saying Gibson only made one ES-339 in Nashville the rest were made in Memphis.  Gibson caused confusion as the Memphis plant doesn't have a custom shop yet those guitars for some time still had a 'Custom shop logo' on the rear of the neck....

My guitar is nice, light weight, feels / plays amazing... I only just got it p/x'd a 2016 ES-335 for it.

I had a different 339 a few years back and it didn't feel like this one, not even close.....   Am I getting duff info online with decoders or did they make the early 2007 ES-339's in Nashville?  I also recently watched a tour of the factory with Andertons Music store and they were making ES-339's in that Nashville factory, again that was fairly recent.

I'm sure the guy doing the tour showed them the heated press which they bought back in the 1940's from the furniture industry. He says it's what they used to form the front and backs of all ES guitars.  He goes as far as to say that this very machine press was the same machine used to create all of the ES range over the years including guitars owned by people like Clapton, BB King, Alvin Lee, Larry Carlton etc....

By the way, I work in the music industry I'm the GM of a UK distributor (we have no connection to Gibson)  I say this as I'm under no false pretences that 'my guitar' is something extra special or out of the ordinary.  I have seen the inner working of the MI since joining this firm back in 1999, so I know about the spin and BS and I don't subscribe to it for one moment. 

Another aspect that stands out for me is the binding and the neck are level no shrinkage which is all too often the case with most Gibsons after a relatively short period of ownership, this guitar is 16 years old supposedly.

I have continued to dig...... The serial on my ES-339 is 5 digit starting ws CS75###.

According to  the decoder on Zing Instruments it's state : 

Year = 2007

Plant = Bozeman, MT (Acoustic) / Nashville, TN  (Electric)

Model = Custom Shop

According to AuthorityGuitar.com it states:

It has been said the CS ES models start off being built in Memphis.  Bodies are then sent to Nashville for completion.  (How did I see the famous press in the Nashville plant during Andertons and other peoples tours arghhh 🙂

example 'CS104260'

CS= Custom Shop, 1=Year (Last digit of the year, 2011?), 0=Location (0=Nashville, 5=Memphis), 4260= Production Rank

Based on the second site the guitar was made in Memphis  🙂 as my serial starts CS75###

Ultimately it's doesn't matter, I love the guitar I'm just being a fan boy and wanting to know more about my guitars production, it changes nothing for me either way.

Edited by Gremlyng