Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton

uncle fester

The one electric guy Id still like to hear play is Bill Kirchen (played with Commander Cody). He tears it up pretty good.

Old icons Id like to see (but probably wont) in a small club or hall: Taylor, Crosby, Jorma, Bromberg. Might yet have a shot at the latter 2. An an ideal world, Paul Geremia, but I doubt he will recover sufficnetly to perform again.

He was awesome and downright personable. We chatted about his off-brand pine wood Tele during his break. He even handed it to me to show me the neck and how crooked it had gotten over the past few months. It was the one thing I knew anything about, but one of the guitar players from the opening act had walked up to us at that point and told him how to fix it, etc. That was pretty cool, though, to talk with him like that. I was just some nobody sitting at the first big table with wife, son and friends.

I'm 10 years and 4 days younger than Clapton.

I grew up in very rural Arizona, on a ranch on the Mexican border. My family and I got electricity in 1964, when I was 9, courtesy of Lyndon Johnson expanding the rural Electrification Act. My family moved to the Big City of Phoenix, AZ, the summer I would enter the 7th grade. The summer of love. Phoenix had radio. Several stations. One played an eclectic mix that included cuts from the John Mayall "Beano" album of a couple of years earlier. I fell in love.

In my world, Clapton was the original cultural appropriator. And, with a bit of guilt, I thank him for it. A young white guy on the other side of the pond beamed back to me my own country's culture. A culture I wouldn't have known without his introduction.

I spent years reading the liner notes on the albums on which Clapton played. Prowling record stores to find the cuts that motivated him.

Oh, and I own one of his guitars:

Dupont%20MD-30.jpg

Story here:

Clapton%20Auction%20Article.jpg

Like most of my fellow members my days of big stadiums are gone but I have to say Jagger looked good on the You tube vid in Edinburgh. As with most things in life there's a time to get of the stage and I think 75 is it.

I first saw The Stones at The Marque not the Wardour Street one the one under the Academy Cinema in Oxford Street. Great venue not more than a couple of hundred people there.

As for good gigs Paul Simon takes some beating not only is he an excellent musician but also good at talking between songs.

CSN were excellent too particularly the acoustic set, I saw then at Hamersmith early ninety's but they are over the hill now. Nothing lasts forever.

Phoenix had radio. Several stations. One played an eclectic mix that included cuts from the John Mayall "Beano" album of a couple of years earlier.

Mesa/Phoenix had the best underground / free form radio in the Country.

You must be talking about the Legendary KDKB.

Or the beginning of it all, KCAC.

Toad Hall, Bill Compton, Nina Joy.

I was there, too !

Mesa/Phoenix had the best underground / free form radio in the Country.

You must be talking about the Legendary KDKB.

Or the beginning of it all, KCAC.

Toad Hall, Bill Compton, Nina Joy.

I was there, too !

Yes, KDKB! I lived on the west side, went to Maryville High School. And, you?

Yes, KDKB! I lived on the west side, went to Maryville High School. And, you?

East side of the Valley. So far East of Mesa it was almost Apache Jct. The "new" Mesa High at Gilbert and Southern was too sterile, so most of us "freaks" ended up full time at the old Mesa High downtown which was re-named Mesa Central, and was just a few blocks from KDKB.

In my world, Clapton was the original cultural appropriator. And, with a bit of guilt, I thank him for it. A young white guy on the other side of the pond beamed back to me my own country's culture. A culture I wouldn't have known without his introduction.

I spent years reading the liner notes on the albums on which Clapton played. Prowling record stores to find the cuts that motivated him.

For me, it was a combination of the earliest albums by the Stones, Yardbirds (w/Clapton), Animals, and Kinks that opened the pathway to discovering many of the American masters. Also have to mention The Butterfield Blues Band & Michael Bloomfield.

Re an Arizona connection, I moved to Tempe from the LA area for my third year of college in '71, and discovered a great local record store that carried tons of blues & jazz (lots of stuff on the Everest label). That store also opened the door to Django Reinhardt, Venuti & Lang, as well as Memphis Slim with Matt Murphy (whom Clapton clearly listened to), and many others.

Dial up the Way-Back machine!

East side of the Valley. So far East of Mesa it was almost Apache Jct. The "new" Mesa High at Gilbert and Southern was too sterile, so most of us "freaks" ended up full time at the old Mesa High downtown which was re-named Mesa Central, and was just a few blocks from KDKB.

Awesome, Murph!

It's a small world. We're pretty much contemporaries. Out west, folks built a new high school in 1972, same year as the new Mesa high, I think. Cool or not, my neighborhood was forced to the new school, Trevor Browne, though it was my senior year.

For me, it was a combination of the earliest albums by the Stones, Yardbirds (w/Clapton), Animals, and Kinks that opened the pathway to discovering many of the American masters. Also have to mention The Butterfield Blues Band & Michael Bloomfield.

Re an Arizona connection, I moved to Tempe from the LA area for my third year of college in '71, and discovered a great local record store that carried tons of blues & jazz (lots of stuff on the Everest label). That store also opened the door to Django Reinhardt, Venuti & Lang, as well as Memphis Slim with Matt Murphy (whom Clapton clearly listened to), and many others.

Dial up the Way-Back machine!

At the same time, I was hitting the record stores on Central Ave. in Phoenix. Those were the days. My fondest/most embarrassing musical memory of the day was visiting a music store on Central Ave. in early 1973 to buy a Stratocaster to take to college. Yeah, lots of 1950s used Strats on the wall. But, for only another $75, I bought a brand, shiny new Strat. I still own it. I justly claim it's the world's finest example of the world's worst Stratocaster in existence.

Archived