Gibson Brands Forums

J50 Vintage

Joe M

Was in one of my local shops yesterday and they had a new J50 Vintage hanging on the wall. Baked Adi top, hog back and sides, long drop in saddle. Had a bit more aging than I remember from other models like the J45 Vintage and HB Vintage. Played and sounded fantastic. Loud, bright and punchy. Weird thing is that the serial number had it made in 2016. Salesguy said they had just got it in and I believe him since it wasn't there when I was last in the shop about a week ago. Owner wasn't there, who might be able to help clarify the situation. Definitely going back tomorrow to talk to him.

Anyway, question is, I've never seen or heard of the model before. Anyone come across one of these?

Interesting. No, never heard anything about Gibson having made a J-50 Vintage. Can't find any info about one. 'Would be curious to see a pic- never saw any torrefied Gibson with a natural finished top. Don't forget to snap a pic when you go to pay it a second visit.

Yes, Buc, 'had to find that part of the first video where he mentions the Sitka. Still, it would be interesting to see a natural-finished Gibson in a barky-looking toasted Adirondack.

Thanks for putting those demos up, Scriv- 'guess they hid the "Vintage" part in the VOS (vintage original spec) model name, though it's doubtful the original spec called for torrefied top wood. Personally, they would've had my attention sooner if they called it a J-50 Vintage.

Nice looking. Sitka baked top.....not adirondack.......wonder how much sonic difference that might make......

Buc, I'm pretty sure the specs on the tag said Adi, not Sitka. The top on the one I saw did have a much wider-looking grain that the ones in the videos. Sure wish there was a sure-fire way to tell the difference without believing what anyone, including the maker, says. [confused]

Interesting, as there was also a Custom Shop 2016 VOS J-50 with the batwing pickguard & light honey-colored mahogany back & sides.

My 2015 CS J-50 has a non-VOS gloss finish, batwing guard, light-honey mahogany b&s, and a seriously wide-grained Sitka top (personally, I like 'em like that!).

Seems like these CS J-50s fly pretty low under the radar. I hadn't been aware of the 2015 version until I ran across it in a NOS ad earlier this year, and now this 2016 '50s version is another one I hadn't been aware of.

Let us know what you find out about it. Seems rather strange that it's just now shown up on your dealer's doorstep!

FInally made it back to the shop this afternoon and talked with the owner about the guitar. He says it was found “upstairs” in inventory but wasn’t sure how long it had been there. He was sure that it hadn’t been two years. His guess is that somebody at Gibson, maybe Don Ruffatto, had turned it up and sent it to him. This shop carries more Gibsons than any other shop in the area, so it’s very possible that Don sent it to him. I was wrong about the top, it is Sitka, not Adi. Played it again, and, honestly, I wasn’t as impressed as I was the first time I played it, still very nice, just not as wowed as I was before. It fact, he’s also got a great 12 fret J45 hanging next to it that sounded really nice. And, of course, a J45 Vintage that was unbelievable. I also double checked the price.....$4K+, OUCH! Still too high for me, especially when the 12 freter could be had for half that price. So, I left with nothing, too many choices, too little money....

Archived