Gibson Brands Forums

No Epiphones and Gibsons sold in stores??

Bluesoull

Hey everybody,

I'm new here, so I guess I should introduce myself before I go on. My name is Gila, female, 25, play in a band in The Netherlands. I'm an absolute Les Paul woman, which brings me to why I'm here.

I was in the local music store the other day, and I only saw 2 Epi's on display. I asked why that was, since the rest was mostly strat, and some other stuff like Ibanez and LTD. He said they've been having problems with the Epi factory, and the same for the Gibson factory. If the shop holder wants to buy Epi's or Gibsons, they have to buy a whole bunch, also ones that they don't really want to sell. The result is that finally, shop holders stop selling them, and guitarists, especially young guitarists are left with second rate stuff to buy, thinking that those guitars are any good, when they should at least have the option of feeling and trying out a genuine Les Paul.

Maybe some people can comment on this, because I'd like to know what the general opinion is. I happen to know that this is not only a problem for shop holders in The Netherlands, but also in The States, because I talked to people there, and they said the same thing.

I really hope something can be done about this, because I want to be able to keep buying LP!!

Thanks for the replies.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My local shop doesn't sell Gibsons either due to the reason you mentioned. Fortunately, they have a lot of Guitar centers here in the US. A lot of people complain about Guitar center, but it is a great place to try out gear. I guess you can buy online? The problem is that you can't try the guitar first. Good Luck!

My local shop doesn't sell Gibsons either due to the reason you mentioned. Fortunately' date=' they have a lot of Guitar centers here in the US. A lot of people complain about Guitar center, but it is a great place to try out gear. I guess you can buy online? The problem is that you can't try the guitar first. Good Luck![/quote']

Oh, my first, swift reply! Thanks! :-D

Yeah, I know, buying gear online, with guitars at least, is something I definetely don't encourage. I'd never do it. I love going to shops and just trying out stuff!

I think the problem is really that Gibson and Epiphone should be a little more leniant to shop holders about which guitars they want to sell. I don't think this approach seems to be working.

To be an authorised Gibson retailer you must stock a minimum value of guitars (Dont know how much) and you must also stock the range of models which Gibson chooses... (So I have been told)

That would make things a little awkward for some..

Flight959

Welcome to the board!

Gibson started requiring shops to place some sort of minimum order a while ago and, unfortunately, a lot of smaller shops haven't been able to, or chose not to, place larger orders. So, they simply stop carrying Gibson which leaves you with having to either shop at a larger store or online.

Personally, I think Gibson is crazy for making retailers purchase larger orders or none at all and IMO, with the economy in the state that it's in, they might have to rethink that strategy if they want to continue moving product as much as they have in the past.

Welcome to the board!

Gibson started requiring shops to place some sort of minimum order a while ago and' date=' unfortunately, a lot of smaller shops haven't been able to, or chose not to, place larger orders. So, they simply stop carrying Gibson which leaves you with having to either shop at a larger store or online.

Personally, I think Gibson is crazy for making retailers purchase larger orders or none at all and IMO, with the economy in the state that it's in, they might have to rethink that strategy if they want to continue moving product as much as they have in the past.

[/quote']

I completely agee with that!

Of course us Gibson lovers know better, and will look for our favorite guitars else wheres, but, for the beginners, it's not good.

Ever since the world encountered financial problems I have noticed a real absence of Gibson Guitars in shops both new and used here in the UK. I expect it isnt much better in Europe..

Regards

And Welcome to the forums..

Flight959

I think it's been going on longer than since the economical problems though, and I have to admit that in the UK the Gibsons are just off the charts with their prices. When I lived in Ireland, in the shops that did sell them, and strangely enough I did see quite a few shops selling genuine Gibson guitars, the prices were really reasonable.

By the way, I know i'm going to get told off for this, but isn't UK part of Europe? Don't beat me... lol.

The local shop owner here told me that in order to be an authorized dealer of Fender you must purchase 40k a year in product and to be an authorized dealer of Gibson you must purchase 100k in product a year.

So:

Fender: 40k per year

Gibson: 100k per year

I don't know how accurate that is, but it really explains why you can find Fender everywhere and Gibson only in the nationwide stores and other stores with the money to do so because they have the luxury of being able to purchase a lot.

The local shop owner here told me that in order to be an authorized dealer of Fender you must purchase 40k a year in product and to be an authorized dealer of Gibson you must purchase 100k in product a year.

So:

I don't know how accurate that is' date=' but it really explains why you can find Fender everywhere and Gibson only in the nationwide stores and other stores with the money to do so because they have the luxury of being able to purchase a lot.

[/quote']

But, I think the standard quality of a Gibson guitar is higher than with a Fender, and there are a lot of people who really prefer Gibson over Fender, me being one of them, and just because it's easyer for me to purchase a Fender, doesn't mean I'll actually do it.

I have to say that I think Gibson is really hurting itself by putting up this attitude towards, not only shop holders, but Gibson lovers, who are not just willing to pay a lot of money for one of their guitars, but also have to really look for one if they wanna get one. Not every one lives across the corner from a Gibson factory you know.. My friend almost does. He lives not too far from Nashville = Gibson Factory, I think I need to move in with him, lol.

So:

I think that probably equates to the same amount of guitars.

Gibson's Standards tend to be about twice the price of Fender's American made strats, so therefore it'd make sense that there is the same minimum quantity for yearly purchase i.e. 40 guitars.

But' date=' I think the standard quality of a Gibson guitar is higher than with a Fender[/quote']

I don't agree with that. While Gibson guitars tend to be fancier, I find Fender guitars to be more consistent. Fender has lemons just like everyone else, but I don't have to try as many of them as Gibsons to find an exceptional player.

I don't agree with that. While Gibson guitars tend to be fancier' date=' I find Fender guitars to be more consistent. Fender has lemons just like everyone else, but I don't have to try as many of them as Gibsons to find an exceptional player.

[/quote']

That's probably because Gibson has way more choices of guitars than Fender does. And the sound is a little more solid on the Gibsons than they are on Fender.

Well' date=' we're comparing apples and oranges as far as sound goes and tone is very subjective. As far as choices go, I'd say they're about even; Fender offers 60 different variations on just the Stratocaster.

[/quote']

Ok ok, fair enough, but artists get paid to play a Fender on stage, and they don't do that with Gibson. Gibson is probably prefered more. And Fender has to PAY artists to play them on stage... Don't you think that means something??

Ok ok' date=' fair enough, but artists get paid to play a Fender on stage, and they don't do that with Gibson. Gibson is probably prefered more. And Fender has to PAY artists to play them on stage... Don't you think that means something??[/quote']

Oh, and on top of that, Gibson is suited for a wide variety of genres, where as Gibson lends itself to almost any genre.

Ok ok' date=' fair enough, but artists get paid to play a Fender on stage, and they don't do that with Gibson. Gibson is probably prefered more. And Fender has to PAY artists to play them on stage... Don't you think that means something??[/quote']

Where are you getting this information? Both companies endorse artists and give them gear but I have never heard of anyone actually being paid to use gear.

Oh' date=' and on top of that, Gibson is suited for a wide variety of genres, where as Gibson lends itself to almost any genre.[/quote']

Again, totally subjective. I find a Strat to be the most tonally diverse guitar yet a Strat will never sound like a Les Paul nor will a Les Paul ever sound like a Strat. I own both Fender and Gibson guitars and I choose the right tool for the job as none of them excels at everything.

Again' date=' totally subjective. I find a Strat to be the most tonally diverse guitar yet a Strat will never sound like a Les Paul nor will a Les Paul ever sound like a Strat. I own both Fender and Gibson guitars and I choose the right tool for the job as none of them excels at everything.

[/quote']

Alright, before we start a war, let's just say I think Gibson has my personal preference, and I really think Gibson is much more versatile than Fender, but, let's just say that's subjective.

Let's make peace, ok?

Welcome to the board' date=' about time we got a woman here...... As for the quota its a win win for Gibson; hell they can dictate whats being sold, and push their models from even the retail level. Its win win for Gibson which sounds very much like the way Microsoft does its business Darkfire = Vista? Harsh, maybe but from what I have heard and my recent exposure to the Corp politics (yes I am referring to the calendar).[/quote']

Hey, Thanks for the warm welcome there. Lmao.. yes, about time we got more females on here! ;-)

Yeah, I think the reason why they have the monopoly, is because people buy them more??

Alright' date=' before we start a war, let's just say I think Gibson has my personal preference, and I really think Gibson is much more versatile than Fender, but, let's just say that's subjective.

Let's make peace, ok? [/quote']

That's cool. Peace. :-&

Archived