Gibson Brands Forums

Stevie Ray Vaughan replica guitar

MichaelT

I see this guitar in ads all the time: https://www.sunfieldmusic.com/collections/custom/products/srvst

Looking at the reviews, people either love it or say it's crap. The singer in my band is looking to get one, simply for the coolness factor, but he'd like to play it as well.

I told him that my opinion is that it'll probably play like a 300 dollar guitar and not like his Gibson Les Paul Studio or his Martin D28. Another guy said it needs a good setup and replace the electronics. For that kind of price and upgrades, you can get a good used Fender American Strat for $850.00 or so. It does have a coolness factor though.

Does anyone have one or know anyone who does?

I found it interesting that there is not one pic

of the headstock to be found of that guitar.

I saw the same for quite a few of their guitars.

What's up with that? I wouldn't buy a guitar without knowing what the headstock looked like. [-(

If the chap in your band fancies having one then why on Earth not?

Yes; it probably will play like a $300 guitar but then again it's (essentially) a Strat and there's not much that can't be adjusted as long as the neck is 'correct' in all the important ways. Even if he needs to spend some extra cash on good p'ups (used?) and possibly a bit more for quality pots'n'caps he's still not going to be shelling out too much of the folding.

I say he should go for it.

FWIW I've got a couple of $300 guitars which play very well indeed.

Pip.

I found it interesting that there is not one pic.of the headstock to be found of that guitar...

What's up with that? I wouldn't buy a guitar without knowing what the headstock looked like...

Protecting themselves from possible Trade Mark infringement litigation.

Pip.

From the manufacturer's description of their 'Lenny' tribute offering;

"Cigarette body burns recreated using SRV's cigarette brand"

Now that's what I call attention to detail......msp_laugh.gif......

They do offer some interesting fare though. Rory Gallagher's Strat has always been a favourite of mine.

I'm not about to buy one but £302 for their replica is pretty much in Squier Affinity territory.

Pip.

He and I talked last night. His thinking was to take it to gig with instead of his Les Paul. He's worried about it getting damaged or stolen. I explained that we'd have someone watch our gear when not on stage and to make sure to get things insured. I explained that it will get a ding or two over time because that's just what happens. Being careful and vigilant is key. I also told him that if he's going to play a SRV guitar, he might want to learn how to play like SRV because people will be expecting it. :D

I also told him that if he wants a less expensive guitar to gig with that he can get used MIM Strats or Epiphone Les Pauls all day long for a good price. I think we're going to go guitar shopping. I mentioned that when we do start gigging, I'll be taking my $2000 - 3000.00 guitars.

I might just get this one, just because it's cool.

he might want to learn how to play like SRV because people will be expecting it

how much time does he have,, cuz he's gonna need a lot of that...

Hahahaha! Yeah, no kidding. We're doing a couple of SRV songs and to try to play them with his style and tone is a bear. I try to get close with the sound, tone and feel. And, that's after playing for a few decades. :)

Archived