Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identifying

Dave F

I agree it is an L-1 but I would guess a bit later probably dating to the 1910s up to around 1917 or so. I have played a bunch of these round soundhole Gibson archtops the last one being a brown L-1 but did not like them enough to buy one. Then again, if the price were right. But as with all auctions they tend to get up there just before the end.

I agree it is an L-1 but I would guess a bit later probably dating to the 1910s up to around 1917 or so. I have played a bunch of these round soundhole Gibson archtops the last one being a brown L-1 but did not like them enough to buy one. Then again, if the price were right. But as with all auctions they tend to get up there just before the end.

Agree with ZW on this. The two-ring rosette seems to be a bit later.

Has the pin bridge been retrofitted? I have never seen an L-1 with a pin bridge.

Here is a picture of a 1917 L-1 and the 1926 flat top version L-1. I always thought the pin bridge came with the flat top. Anyone know different?

26l11.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Has the pin bridge been retrofitted? I have never seen an L-1 with a pin bridge.

Here is a picture of a 1917 L-1 and the 1926 flat top version L-1. I always thought the pin bridge came with the flat top. Anyone know different?

Best,

-Tom

The pin bridge is almost certainly a replacement. It isn't even in a recognizable Gibson style. Inspecting the guitar would tell you in an instant.

Per guitarhq.com, the tailpiece did not show up until 1908 when it went to a 13 fret That's why I dated it earlier. Per hq, 1902 started with the rope pattern rosetta, 2 for the L1 and 3 for the L2.

The end looks pretty clean

l1-8_zpsrrdvr6cs.jpeg

Per guitarhq.com, the tailpiece did not show up until 1908 when it went to a 13 fret That's why I dated it earlier. Per hq, 1902 started with the rope pattern rosetta, 2 for the L1 and 3 for the L2.

l1-8_zpsrrdvr6cs.jpeg

You could be right. Sources differ on these details, as not that many examples are seen today.

Hey ZW, did you not favor the ones you played partly because they were too 'quiet'?

I do still own one round soundhole archtop - a 1930s Kay Kraft. It is hard to put my finger on what it was that kept me from laying out my hard earned scratch on a Gibson. Nothing to do with volume as if anything I thought these put out a lot of sound considering their size. I think it was more of a balance thing. I felt they came off as a bit dry and thin, almost brittle sounding on the upper end. They did have some good punch in the mids though. The reason I kept looking at them was I think I liked the idea of an L-1 better than the guitar itself. Thing is most of the ones I was looking at were in the $1800 to $2K range which for me was a major purchase.

l1-8_zpsrrdvr6cs.jpeg

That appears to be correct. Google shows you are right. Thanks for the education!msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Best,

-Tom

I remembered something that might be relevant. We have an early teens U-10 -- harp guitar. It has a trapeze bridge, but we have a friend who collects harp guitars. He has several including earlier versions with pin bridges. He said the pin bridges were problematic for some reason, and that is why they switched to the trapeze.

Of course these are harp guitars, but maybe the issues were the same?

Best,

-Tom

Archived