Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne fingerstyle

livemusic

I again listened to JB's cd, the acoustic record, Vol. 1 (couldn't find Vol. 2) and when I got to "Too Many Angels," which I consider a masterpiece, something struck me. I have always been enamored with his acoustic guitar playing, and this rendition of this song is only him and guitar, and it struck me that part of the magic of what he does is he doesn't play many notes in certain sections, on certain phrases. So, instead of a steady fingerpicking arpeggiated flood of notes, there are not many in those spots. Something to work on!

What a great writer, player and singer!

I have to say that when it comes to guitar if Dave Lindley is on the record it is Jackson who? But you know, you can take a song like "Know You Rider." Pretty much a simple folk song. You can play is as sparse as you like and it will work just fine. But then you can go and throw some double time picking into it and it takes on a whole other life.

Yes, Jackson's a wonderful guitar player. His brilliance as a songwriter and performer sometimes obscures his musicianship.

I went on the road with Jackson to write a cover story for Fretboard Journal. Somewhere, I've got an audio recording of Jackson, Mr. Dave, and yours truly jamming on guitars from Jackson's collection, along with my own 1943 Gibson SJ.

On edit: Oh, and I forgot to add. It's quite easy when listening to the recording to answer the question, "Which one of these players doesn't belong here." :)

s-l640.jpg

Archived