Gibson Brands Forums

New 2019 ES 235

Twang Gang

Wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to play one of the new ES-235 models. It seems like a strange combination of design and materials and I'm not sure where it fits in the Gibson line, or what it might sound like.

They have a maple/poplar/maple body and top, single Florentine cutaway, and maple center block nothing too unusual there. But then they have a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with a bone nut, and an ABR-1 bridge. Then unlike most semi's with MHS or classic 57 pickups, they load it with Burstbucker Pros, and the Memphis Tone Circuit. Comes with a gig bag instead of a hardshell case and retail is $1799.

Seems like an odd combination of some high end components and some lower end. Not sure of the size, looks to be about like the old 125 single cutaways. Gibson site only shows it in Ebony, but Sweetwater has a traditional sunburst for sale and they claim it is built in the Memphis Custom Shop. Might be a pretty good alternative to an ES Les Paul for several thousand less?

Just wondering if anyone has seen one in person, played one, or heard one? [confused]

Played one and love it. Very nice neck and played really smooth. The one I played was the ebony gloss version. Workmanship was great. As soon as I put it down, the next guy bought it. [crying] Definately going to grab one of these.

Size is like a ES-339 or my L5S RW. The one I played came with the new Gibson gig bag.

Archived