Gibson Brands Forums

Real or fake? Help!

Somelieforlove

Hello. I’m new to this forum. I have recently purchased an epiphone les Paul Zak Wylde custom. The guy who sold me it has changed the machine heads and the TRC. Other than that it looks grand. But I have been told it’s a fake epiphone. Can anyone help? The serial number on the back checks out as being made in the epiphone factory. How would I know it’s a fake?

Hello. I’m new to this forum. I have recently purchased an epiphone les Paul Zak Wylde custom. The guy who sold me it has changed the machine heads and the TRC. Other than that it looks grand. But I have been told it’s a fake epiphone. Can anyone help? The serial number on the back checks out as being made in the epiphone factory. How would I know it’s a fake?

Photos would help.

One other thing;

If a counterfeiter were to endeavor a fake guitar, they would try to pass it off as a Gibson or a Martin or a Fender.

I'm not all that sure that somebody would go to all the effort to fake a guitar, and put 'Epiphone' or 'Squier'. on the head stock.

But then again, I've been wrong before.

[unsure]

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I have recently purchased an epiphone les Paul Zak Wylde custom. The guy who sold me it has changed the machine heads and the TRC. Other than that it looks grand. But I have been told it's a fake epiphone. Can anyone help? The serial number on the back checks out as being made in the epiphone factory. How would I know it's a fake?

Sadly there have been many fake Epis, typically the higher end ones. In Canada the Zak/Slash/Joe/etc Epis often go for around 1K. So, while there's no money in faking a special or an affinity, there is money in the higher end stuff. Often the counter fitters use legit serials.

Most of the Zak stuff came with Grovers so not sure why one would feel the need to change them, unless for locking ones. TRC, some guys like them blank.

We will need pics to tell you what you've got.

Johnny

Pic's will help a lot..

Epiphone pickups are usually marked, as well as the bridge and stop bar usually say Epiphone on the bottom.. In addition Epiphone normally uses full sized 500k pots.. With the exception of push/pull coil tapping pots that use a plugin wiring harness, on higher end models...

Archived