Gibson Brands Forums

New to no pick guard

FemmeParallell

My Les Paul Standard came without the pickguard installed and I couldn't bring myself to drill/cover that beautiful maple top. It still sits in a bag in the case.

The 2017 SG Special I have was a different story. It came without a pickguard, and looking pretty naked. Strictly for cosmetic reasons, I installed a Gibson pickguard and switch washer. It was hard to drill the 6 holes, but figured there was no going back, lol

Before:

2017specialfront.jpg

After:

2017specialpickguard.jpg

Good call - adding the pickguard, in this case, makes a big difference.

Nice Les Paul! Wow.

Pick guards, I have found, are sort of model-depending. [biggrin] An SG without a pick guard looks unfinished to me... they look wrong, sans pick guard. However, Les Pauls and ES-style guitars are case-by-case models. Your Les Paul looks great with or without... but I kind'a prefer the "without".

My Les Paul Standard came without the pickguard installed and I couldn't bring myself to drill/cover that beautiful maple top. It still sits in a bag in the case.

The 2017 SG Special I have was a different story. It came without a pickguard, and looking pretty naked. Strictly for cosmetic reasons, I installed a Gibson pickguard and switch washer. It was hard to drill the 6 holes, but figured there was no going back, lol

Before:

2017specialfront.jpg

After:

2017specialpickguard.jpg

Smart move. I was just saying how SGs should never be without a pick guard—whether a half-face or full-face.

Before:

2017specialfront.jpg

After:

2017specialpickguard.jpg

So beautiful with the pickguard, I like her now more than naked....

BR

Andy

Archived