Gibson Brands Forums

John Mellencamp guitar

livemusic

The album "Trouble No More" is outstanding. Mellencamp's discography in his early years was certainly great in this pop-rock vein but his later stuff like "Trouble No More" is equally great, just different. More country bluesy, more of a focus on acoustic guitar, dobro, slide. On this song, "Johnny Hart," what kind of guitar do you think this main acoustic guitar is? I mean brand. Does it sound like anything in particular to you? Or maybe you know what it actually is? He always seems to get good sound on his records.

It's a little hard to tell from an audio clip. There are at least two guitars in that recording. One is a tuned-down conventional acoustic. The other is a resonator of some type, maybe the National Reso-Phonic he is sometimes photographed with.

Mellencamp has played a pretty eclectic range of guitars over the years, from an old 000 Martin in the early years to a Martin dread to a Dove to a variety of electrics. He also, of course, has used a number of different guitarists both in the studio and touring, so in the absence of session notes, it's really hard to know who is playing what on a studio recording..

It's a little hard to tell from an audio clip. There are at least two guitars in that recording. One is a tuned-down conventional acoustic. The other is a resonator of some type, maybe the National Reso-Phonic he is sometimes photographed with.

Mellencamp has played a pretty eclectic range of guitars over the years, from an old 000 Martin in the early years to a Martin dread to a Dove to a variety of electrics. He also, of course, has used a number of different guitarists both in the studio and touring, so in the absence of session notes, it's really hard to know who is playing what on a studio recording..

I'm talking about the acoustic. I would bet it is NOT him playing. Often, studio guitarists are better players. He has never struck me as a very good guitarist, just good enough to get by. I can't pin the sound on a brand. Sounds good though.

I'm talking about the acoustic. I would bet it is NOT him playing. Often, studio guitarists are better players. He has never struck me as a very good guitarist, just good enough to get by. I can't pin the sound on a brand. Sounds good though.

The listed guitarists on that album are Mellencamp and Andy York. Once you tune a guitar away from standard pitch, it's pretty hard to sort out what it is just by the sound.

I listened more times and it sounds Martinish to me. And if I had to bet, I'd say he's probably not even playing. That isn't anything complicated but I've done enough sessions in Nashville with studio guitarists, and they make simple sound great, a step above what I can do. It's just in their fingers. And their impeccable timing. Every... single... time! I am a big fan of Mellencamp but he's never impressed me with guitarmanship and I've heard him sound less than stellar lol. He's a singer and songwriter, he's excused.

I know it's impossible, just an interesting question to me, as I really like his music, I think he's fantastic.

I think its pretty much impossible to pick the brand and model of the guitar in that clip. But wasnt Mellencamp one of the relatively FEW well known musicians to regularly paly a Hummingbird on stage ?

I think that was a Dove (as in Sals pic). I remember it having a drawing of an eagle or something on the lower top.

I don't have a guess for the guitar in question livemusic.

Archived