Gibson Brands Forums

68 Hummingbird

JuanCarlosVejar

As we know some of these heavies sound very good - this is one of them. Woody, warm and dry.

EA is right, the tightness of 68 is heard - it's simply more focused, , , or as one member here once said : Like a mono record.

Worth noticing there are no p-guard screws. Probably one of the last without for a while.

Yeah, Gibson started beefing up the bracing in 1968. But for me the narrow nut and skimpy neck carve are a deal breaker from the start.

68 for sale (for years) near me.....that neck is a pencil!

What WAS the plan and thinking there? Is it for one note at a time stuff? (The one in the video above has a way wider nut).

BluesKing777

I played one once in a store when looking for my first really nice acoustic. At the time, I stretched my budget up to $3k and it was somewhat painful at that. The '68 was two things. Heaven on Earth and $5k. never played anything like it, before or since. Realistically, I had not business taking on the role of curator at the time. Not a few years ago.

Anyhow, thanks for posting that video. The tone of that thing popped through a few times and it was nice. Might be just me, but it felt like he could have coaxed more out of it. I don't know why, but I'm left with the impression that HE would have sounded better playing a Martin. Maybe the style of something.

Archived