Gibson Brands Forums

NOGD (Gibson Related Content)

This guitar was built to the specs of the original 1934 Gibson Jumbo. The design predates that J-35. It was built by Aaron Cowles, a luthier who worked at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo.

After Gibson moved to Nashville in 1984, Aaron opened his own shop called Aaron's Music Service, where he repaired instruments and built his own line of guitars and mandolins. Jubal was the name that he gave to his mandolins and flat top guitars. His archtop guitars were built with the name of Unity. Mr. Cowles passed away in late 2013 and the shop is now operated by his son, Steve. Steve believes his Dad made 40-45 of the Jumbos. American Folksinger Greg Brown reportedly owns two and Canadian Folksinger Garnet Rogers owns one.

Here is a video where Steve explains the story behind the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-CiZ7_wMw

I believe Steve misspoke when he said the guitar is like a J-35. It really is like the original Jumbo because there is only a 1/4” taper from the end block to the neck block, which matches the original Jumbo specs.

I have the guitar in hand and it sounds much better (to my ears) than it does in the video, Steve's great playing notwithstanding.

This guitar is very clear, warm and resonant and I think the late Mr. Cowles did a great job of capturing the authentic sound of the original Gibson Jumbo design. The aforementioned 1/4" taper really makes the guitar project nicely. A light touch brings out quite a lot of sound. The back and sides are mahogany with a nice burst and the top is a natural top (which makes for a unique look) made of sitka spruce. Can't wait to gig with it!

vyayz5G.jpg"]

1o2ILPy.jpg

THg7MNi.jpg

r0KGy4L.jpg

640o30I.jpg

t17P8Ax.jpg

Nice. Soundhole label provided a little learning moment, too.

And it sounds like the guitar had it's first years in good company- some of us appreciate knowing a little about whose hands it's come through.

Close enough 225 Parsons Street connection

HNOGD

I would love to get my hands on that one to give the tires a good kick. We have a local luthier who has a version of an AJ which they copied from an original that came in needing enough repairs to require removing the back at which time they documented the bracing, bridge plate and such which they then reproduced. They also have a version of the L-00.

I was friends with Aaron, and he did a lot of work for me over the years. It's good that his guitars are getting some well-deserved appreciation. His F-5 style mandolins were excellent, as well. He shared a fair amount of Gibson/Kalamazoo lore with me, some of which contradicts the company-generated and otherwise written about material that some folks take as gospel. Altogether, he was a fine gentleman, and I miss him a great deal.

I was friends with Aaron, and he did a lot of work for me over the years. It's good that his guitars are getting some well-deserved appreciation. His F-5 style mandolins were excellent, as well. He shared a fair amount of Gibson/Kalamazoo lore with me, some of which contradicts the company-generated and otherwise written about material that some folks take as gospel. Altogether, he was a fine gentleman, and I miss him a great deal.

That is cool that you knew Mr. Cowles. As was alluded by 62burst, the sound hole label has a special significance. I'm not a Bible Scholar, but Mr. Cowles was a religious man and by all accounts walked the walk. The scripture at Genesis 4:21 reads as follows:

"His brother’s name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes."

I met Aaron and visited with him at his shop in Vicksburg back about maybe 2003 or so. He had one of those Jubal Jumbos at the time and it was a fine instrument.

You're lucky to have obtained one of his guitars -- I hope you enjoy it!!

Fred

Archived