Gibson Brands Forums

1 3/4 Nut Gibsons ?

MHargis

Quite a number.

I have a 1943 SJ re-issue with a 1 3/4" nut, as well as the L-OO Legend with 1 3/4" nut. There have been many, many others, even though it is not (and has not been since the late 1940's) the "standard" Gibson nut width.

The more common modern Gibson Acoustic nut width is just a tick less than 1 3/4" at around 1.72". That's not a heck of a lot narrower.

Probably of equal or greater importance is the string spacing width at the bridge, which varies from 2 1/8" to 2 3/8"

• Like 1

Gibsons had a 1  3/4" nut  until 1947 when they went with a 1 11/16".  My three older Gibsons (built 1932, 1935 and 1942)  all have it.  As noted above, the standard Bozeman  nut width is just a shade under 1 3/4".

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

The 74 Gospel arrive and it's not what I was hoping for...... Everything is/was right when it was made but now the years have over taken her. Cracks in the top, bad repairs and the neck and top of the body is in a slow mo fold making the cracks move. 

It's to bad, I really want one or a Gib this size with this nut.

I will send this one back and keep hunting

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Your best be might be a used modern Gibson with a 1 3/4" nut.  They are also less likely to have the type of problems the Gospel has. Modern ones are out there. Just keep looking. 

I own 2 Advanced Jumbos and they both have 1 3/4” nut widths. One was from a Custom Shop run of maple AJ’s built in 2007. The other as far as I’m aware is a standard issue Rosewood AJ built in 2008.

Hey J45nick, I think I may have two big neck Gibsons like yours. My Southern Jumbo Banner Reissue is one of the 50 they did for John Thomas' Gibson Girls book, where they copied s few of his guitars. I love the big unbound fat neck (kinda like a 50's LP jr.). My L00 Legend is from 2007 it has a big hard V 30's style neck, copied from Leroy Parnell's.  Both of these guitars have opened up a lot in the last couple of years. They are great for swinging jazzed up chords like the guys (and girls) who play back up the Texas fiddle contests.Both full 1 3/4 at the nut.  Both keepers.

Swang on.

My '43 SJ re-issue actually has the Luthier's Choice neck, which is just over 1  3/4 at the nut, but with more of a flattened D sectional shape. It's very different in feel compared to a vintage neck. My L-OO is a Legend

My favorite Gibson acoustic necks are from about 1947-1953 or so. I've had  two from 1950 and one from 1947, and all have that nice fat C section.

And yes, that is very similar to the neck on 1950's electrics like  the 1958 and 1959 ES-335's, as well as on my '59 Historic ES-335. And they are very good for chunky jazz/swing chords.

I suspect your SJ re-issue may have a slightly wider and fatter neck than vintage ones from just a few years later, but those are all really good necks from my perspective.

Thanks, Nick. Yeah, the Luthier's Choice neck is a little shallower in profile, than on my SJ.. I had a Fullers Gibson J35, 1939 Reissue with the Luthier's Choice neck, which as you say is more of a D shape, but whas nice and wide (1.77).. I always wondered which luthiers  came up with it and when?  It was beautiful with a real nice vintage dark sunburst. My SJ is a real handful, but I find it comfortable. I've played s few vintage SJs from the late 40's or early 50's and they feel even bigger. I would like to try a Smeck with the original over 2" wide neck at the nut. Most players seem to convert the to more "modern" widths. Does your SJ have a bound neck?

Swang on,

Thanks everyone. I went with HP 415 CEX

Antique Natural, Gloss Nitrocellulose lacquer finish, 4” deep Round Shoulder Dreadnought Cutaway body style.The HP 415 CEX is built with a AA Sitka Spruce top,
 Scalloped X bracing pattern with enhanced bracing pattern which allows the top to vibrate more freely for a bigger and bolder sound.
 Walnut back and sides, Multi-ply Black top binding, 16″ radius Walnut fingerboard with the Mother of Pearl Dot inlays on an Advanced Response profile shaped two
 piece Maple neck, 25.75” scale length, 1.725″ width at the nut, Topping of the features is a great sounding L.R. Baggs Element pickup system and hardshell case

Edited by MHargis