Gibson Brands Forums

I Went To Woodstock But I Was The Only One There....

BluesKing777

Hah! If you went to Woodstock 50 years ago you'd also be the only one there.  You'd have to drive another hour to see the concert.

What was once a quaint, quirky arts community is now a bad soup of sad ol' drum circle hippies and black Amex cards.  If you keep traveling north past and over the Catskills another 2 hrs you get to paradise, where I gratefully live.

28 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Hah! If you went to Woodstock 50 years ago you'd also be the only one there.  You'd have to drive another hour to see the concert.

What was once a quaint, quirky arts community is now a bad soup of sad ol' drum circle hippies and black Amex cards.  If you keep traveling north past and over the Catskills another 2 hrs you get to paradise, where I gratefully live.

"Sad ol' drum circle hippies"!

Love it, JZ.

There are 2 or 3 areas like that here - probably at least one in every country in the world.... a friend is busking at the one here right as I speak. I better head on up. Make some extra coin. I picked up the old Gibson L-0 from the Sydney version.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I took the photos a few years back when I had a new SLR Nikon camera and was looking for test subjects/victims. The place was quite a long way but I went by freeway to freeway to city to freeway to tunnel to freeway to freeway to ....little country road.

I intended to play my guitar there so I could say I ‘played at Woodstock’ but it wasn’t a very welcoming place and a couple of local boneheads were glaring at me when I was taking photos at the local hall for hire. The local hotel had what appeared to me all the same V8 sedans lined up out front so I vamoosed before it turned unto a Deliverance meets Dukes of Hazard scene with me as the star with the broken guitar.....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Don't think my strummy version of 'Freebird' would have cut it and I don't think my version of "By The Time I Got To Woodstock" would have amused either....😎

About approx 25 years ago, I went to a guy who taught 'Rock Lead Guitar' for quite a while every week and one of the tunes we did over and over and over and over and .....was the LS instrumental with the Woody Woodpecker guitar riff. (they had 3 lead guitarists and plenty of fodder for riff learning).

EDIT: I thought about that '25' years and it sounded wrong so I worked it out - it is actually 36 years since I learned 'Rock Lead Guitar' derrhhh.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

EDIT: I thought about that '25' years and it sounded wrong so I worked it out - it is actually 36 years since I learned 'Rock Lead Guitar' derrhhh.

36 years ago I was learning my way around Louisiana Swamp Rock and Zydeco. It was all new to a desert rat from Arizona.

13 hours ago, Murph said:

36 years ago I was learning my way around Louisiana Swamp Rock and Zydeco. It was all new to a desert rat from Arizona.

36 yrs ago I was a hardcore metal head...  had my first guitar but really didn't start strumming for another 15 yrs.

BK - that looks like some cool but tough country, as mentioned above sounds like a well timed exit.  Reminds me of a time when I was mountain biking out in the Lasalle mountains in Utah... lost the trail, found a guy in a cowboy hat to ask directions who was none too happy we were there.  The trail passed through a couple fences -and as we were leaving he left us with a warning, 'and close the gates- otherwise I'll come find you...'  yep, good time for an exit.