Gibson Brands Forums

For those of you recently helping to ID an old arch top...

62burst

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I love depression era stuff, my mandolin is of that time period. Those people were tougher, on average, than the weenie crybabies we have whining now.

There is Depression-era and then there is Depression-era gear.  I own two Depression-era archtops, five flattops and one  mandolin (two if summer 1941 counts).  The stuff though which speaks directly to a specific time in history are not the instruments which remained virtually unchanged  but those with which everything that could be done to lessen price was undertaken.  So my  1935 Gibson-made Capital is a good example of dealing with the Depression.  Others such as my Kay K6,  Westbrook Stella, and Supertone mandolin  were already about as cheap as it was going to get.  No corners left to cut.  Still others such as my '32 Gibson L1 remain the pinnacle of L body guitars.  

3 hours ago, Murph said:

If I was retired...

That would be a fun project.

I guess I had that coming.

It would be a good project, but  they’re probably guitars out there that would be a better use of the time and energy, but if you were out to save it from being a Parts o’caster, it’s probably a little too late for that, as that is probably why the tuners, tail piece,  and firestripe guard are already missing. 

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

At least he didn’t use the old ‘Grandpa’s guitar story’. That one brings a tear to my eye every time  

Lol.. the “Grandpa’s guitar” story- a classic. 

2 hours ago, billroy said:

What do you all think, for $340 is it a good project guitar?  Love 'The Gibson' on the headstock. 

That’s probably the best part of what’s left of that guitar .

I like the picture of the back of the headstock. Looks like every style tuner has been on it at one time or another.

I personally would not go much more than it's current bid.  Too much unknown. Maybe loose bracing with the loose binding. It should rattle pretty good.

Removing the frets and cleaning off the fretboard would be the only way I would take off that lacquer.

Edited by Dave F

17 minutes ago, Dave F said:

(the above photo)

DAVID ! ! ! You, you. . . _____

. . . Don't get a splinter on that guitar (KG-32?).  (Probably should've held on to mine)

ps- seems the black buttons, which are pretty cool (I wonder if they're Bakelite?) hold up much better over the years.

Edited by 62burst

24 minutes ago, 62burst said:

DAVID ! ! ! You, you. . . _____

. . . Don't get a splinter on that guitar (KG-32?).  (Probably should've held on to mine)

ps- seems the black buttons, which are pretty cool (I wonder if they're Bakelite?) hold up much better over the years.

It’s pretty brittle. I’ve already accidentally pushed my finger through it.  Bought it for the hardware.  I’ll throw some non vintage hardware on it to finish out it’s life. Don’t know if I’ll sell it.