Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up a J-45 TV LTD (VOS)

powerpopper

Was browsing in a guitar store in LA this weekend when I walked in to their very well stocked acoustic room. Plenty of Gibsons, Martins and Taylors, along with some higher end Takamines and the like. There was a guy there who was auditioning a J-45 TV. It sounded quite good. They also had a J-45 MC that sounded good. To be sure, the TV sounded the best of the two, but they were both nice.

At that point, one of my regular salesmen came in and said "you guys have to hear the best guitar we have in the store right now" and pulled out what I now know to be a 2008 J-45 TV LTD VOS. All three of us played it and we marveled at how clear it sounded compared to the other J-45. I wouldn't say glassy or thin, but compared to the others it sounded like it more "open" throughout the range.

All the while, I was asking why the case was different (didn't say Gibson Acoustic), arched on both top and bottom with a little latch like I'd never seen before. Inside the case was a small flyer and envelope that read "Gibson 2008 True Vintage Promotion" along with a nice leather COA (very nice embroidery on that piece). The salesman didn't know any of the details other than it was just an awesome J-45.

The other guy and the salesman left me alone in the room with the guitar and after spending some time with it, I realized it was the real deal. The shop gave me a <cough> very compelling deal on it and it wasn't until I got home that I realized I had purchased one of these:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/upgraded-limited-true-vintage/

My only complaint is with the (semi) "sticky" vintage finish on the neck, but I'm hoping that will lessen with time and play. The soft V-neck profile is a favorite of mine in any case. This guitar is absolutely awesome! Strummed, picked, doesn't matter...it just sounds great. When I got home, I A-B'd it against my Southern Jumbo MC (probably not fair). The Southern Jumbo (like the other J-45's they had) sounds good, but the J-45 TV LTD sounds GREAT. I'm really blown away. I own a lot of guitars, but if I could only have one, I think this would be it.

I swear I didn't go in planning to buy a guitar, but man, what a find. I'm tempted now to try and run down the Hummingbird...:-) Let's just say it was a good weekend...

I know, I know, I really should post pics...I will this time, promise.

That's is awesome!:- Would love to see some pics of it! One on the local dealers near me has several variations of these in stock and I've been tempted to do some horse trading for one... Enjoy yours!

Further update...I'm guessing it is the Red Spruce top that is making all the difference here. This guitar continues to amaze me. Don't know if all 167 of these have been released, but they seem to be selling for close to the amount of a "regular" TV.

One drawback is the period correct case. It's very sturdy, but the latch on it is rather cumbersome to open. But hey, it's a small inconvenience for such a great guitar.

My favorite guitar! Light as a feather and loud as a canon! congrats, you will most certainly enjoy it.

You weren't at the GC in West Hollywood by chance were you? I happened to be there a few weeks ago and played a 1949 J45 that they just had hanging on the wall in the small acoustic room off on the side. I played Spanish Harlem Incident and it sounded just right.

Enjoy your guitar! i'm pretty sure that when you register that thing they send you some schwag, like a jacket and a case cover..

My favorite guitar! Light as a feather and loud as a canon! congrats' date=' you will most certainly enjoy it.

You weren't at the GC in West Hollywood by chance were you? I happened to be there a few weeks ago and played a 1949 J45 that they just had hanging on the wall in the small acoustic room off on the side. I played Spanish Harlem Incident and it sounded just right.

Enjoy your guitar! i'm pretty sure that when you register that thing they send you some schwag, like a jacket and a case cover..[/quote']

While I have been a frequent customer of Guitar Center Hollywood, that is not where I located this guitar. (Just btw, I'm not a huge fan of GC but I have gotten great service from Travis Taherkhani and Doug Diamond at that location.) But that little acoustic room is pretty amazing. I don't know enough about vintage prices, but when I do pick up a guitar in there it seems pretty pricey.

And yes, I just registered it and they are sending a jacket and case cover. Woo hoo!

Still, the guitar is super. I'm not sure it's "holy grail" status, but it's as close as I've ever come, for sure...

As far as I'm aware, it's the same case as the one used for the J200 ltd (which I have). Brown covered, with nickel latches right? Not sure what your issue is with it, mine is just as easy to open/shut as the normal/custom shop cases. Maybe you got a duff one?

As far as I'm aware' date=' it's the same case as the one used for the J200 ltd (which I have). Brown covered, with nickel latches right? Not sure what your issue is with it, mine is just as easy to open/shut as the normal/custom shop cases. Maybe you got a duff one?[/quote']

Take a look at the guitars in this link. They are all at least different colors, both inside and out. Looks like yours has a combo lock, which mine does not. Is that right?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/upgraded-limited-true-vintage/

As far as I'm aware' date=' it's the same case as the one used for the J200 ltd (which I have). Brown covered, with nickel latches right? Not sure what your issue is with it, mine is just as easy to open/shut as the normal/custom shop cases. Maybe you got a duff one?[/quote']

My bad. Yours does not have the combo lock, but mine is different. See that weird shaped silver thing on the J-45 case?

Further update...I'm guessing it is the Red Spruce top that is making all the difference here. This guitar continues to amaze me. Don't know if all 167 of these have been released' date=' but they seem to be selling for close to the amount of a "regular" TV.

One drawback is the period correct case. It's very sturdy, but the latch on it is rather cumbersome to open. But hey, it's a small inconvenience for such a great guitar.[/quote']

i had the same problem with my case. i couldn't get it to close properly at all. called gibson and they sent me a new one that works fine. the "sticky' finish you refer to is wearing away in the cowboy chord position on mine. i was a little thrown by the finish when i opened the case and called fullers asking if there was a mistake. they assured me there wasn't and i've grown fond of it now. no polishing required! a fantastic sounding guitar and a keeper. plus, i look pretty snazzy in my gibson tv jacket doncha know.

Ah yea, I get you. Although I thought the 45 case was the same as the J200, didn't realise it has different lining/vinyl. Is the the case with the standard true vintage as well? Oh and good luck if you ask Gibson for a replacement. I contacted them about swapping out my pickguard and got an immediate response, but they seem to have decided to ignore me since then and won't reply to my emails or answer my calls...

+1 on doug diamond, he's the man! i get down to LA once every few years. i was there recently and stopped by to check them out. I share your feelings regarding GC generally - there are a couple of good ones though and it's the people working there that make it that way.

your guitar rocks. i'm playing mine now!

At that point' date=' one of my regular salesmen came in and said "you guys have to hear the best guitar we have in the store right now" and pulled out what I now know to be a 2008 J-45 TV LTD VOS.

I know, I know, I really should post pics...I will this time, promise.[/quote']

I would love to find one of these locally to try out. After missing out on a J-200 last year, my GAS has expanded and focused on the slightly smaller J-45's and AJ Custom Shop models...

Looking forward to seeing the pics and/or video...

VOS? I don't see the VOS marker attached to any of the Gibson acoustic guitars on their site. TV for True Vintage, yes..........VOS (Vintage Old Stock) no. They make some Les Paul's as VOS models that are finish distressed, etc. but I've not seen any of their acoustic models issued this way. Where can I see photos of these VOS acoustics?

(Nice guitar, I'm sure, by the way! Sure love my PW 200 Western!)

PowerPopper can you share with me your impression of your Hummingbird TV? I haven't seen one in person yet (but I am in interested in it) and was interested in what qualities you find are prominent about it and what it's tonal impression is on you?

Thanks!

Archived