Gibson Brands Forums

Admit it

fast fret

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, guys... I'd say "fame" or "well known" depends where you are and "when" you are.

10 years ago if my full name were "googled" you would have found over 1,000 hits for real. Now it's more likely to get 3-400 and next year it's likely to be fewer. No, not for guitar picking, but mostly for writing, which is what I've done for a day job some 43 years.

But here in South Dakota it's hard for anybody who's been around a while not to find a relative, friend or friend of a friend anywhere in the state. As one guy put it, "You can't get away with a @#$%@# thing." Does that make you "famous?"

Some acquaintances have played on some pretty decent circuits - one fiddled with Roy Clark for years - and I still remember him as a mop-headed college kid. <grin>

I think "famous" in music nowadays is almost a misnomer because frankly I wouldn't know "Slash" either by music or if he walked into the restaurant where I regularly eat lunch and bit me. BB? I think I'd know him if he walked in the office door without stage lights on him. I'd love to do an interview.

There are so many darned good musicians nowadays in all styles that it's not like the old days. Either that or I'm getting so old I don't know who's "hot" in any style.

"Famous?" Yeah, right. I remember "The Queen of Country Music" Kitty Wells playing the very, very small county fair circuit for not so very much cash. Drummer for the "fendermen" who did the famous 50s piece "Muleskinner Blues" was mechanicking in the town where I went to college.

As a news photographer I've "shot" quite a few "famous" guys, and a number of them I'd never heard of until they did a gig I hadda cover.

So... I'd add that the folks who said "famous" guys in music are just people are right on. Frankly the only ones I've had any problems with as a journalist were those who were pretty insecure people one way or another, famous or not, at their time in life that I met them. Which is why, for example, I'll growl at anybody who sez anything bad about the real pros like Mother Maybelle or Harry James. And I kinda feel sorry for a couple who were at bad times in their lives when I met them - and they'll remain unnamed.

Hey Milod- I knew the guys from Roy Clark's band (Rodney Lay & the Wild West) pretty well. Who was your fiddle-playing buddy? BTW, I was born in Huron (my brother & mom still live there). I used to play Dan's Back Porch in Spearfish back in the '80s. Worked in the Homestake gold mine for awhile in the early '70s.

And I have the only documented Clapton Cut Korina Explorer in the world ...

Hey Axe

Aren't you the one who owns the elusive LP Classic with think round neck?

Did you just happen to run into one? Or did you look for it? I was always

curious about your LP Classic...

I found it by accident just like the explorer, I was looking at Goldtops and not interested in Classics, but I picked it up any way and gave it a lash.

I had to hide my expression when I played it so I blew it off and went back the next day and found the manager, we cut a deal and $ 1400.00 we were out the door giggling like school girls.

Hi Tulsa...

It was Kenny Putnam. Helluva fiddler. He's back out in the Hills. Has been a number of years now. I met him first at the old 1970s US Bicentennial-started S.D. and Open Fiddling Contest. The first year I backed up about half of them - the second year and after, just a few friends. I think Kenny was first there in '75 or 6.

I think there are a lot of guys who've been in and out of the biz all over the place in South Dakota, though.

You're from Huron? Hmmmm. And I thought the only South Dakotans who moved to Oklahoma were rodeo guys!

Hi Tulsa...

It was Kenny Putnam. Helluva fiddler. He's back out in the Hills. Has been a number of years now. I met him first at the old 1970s US Bicentennial-started S.D. and Open Fiddling Contest. The first year I backed up about half of them - the second year and after' date=' just a few friends. I think Kenny was first there in '75 or 6.

I think there are a lot of guys who've been in and out of the biz all over the place in South Dakota, though.

You're from Huron? Hmmmm. And I thought the only South Dakotans who moved to Oklahoma were rodeo guys!

[/quote']

Yes, I've met him a couple of times. I can't remember if it was here or back in S.D. though. It was a long time ago. Rodney Lay had a recording studio in Coffeyville, Ks. just before his band was hired to back up Roy & I hung out there quite a bit. In fact, he 'gave' me a bunch of his gigs he couldn't do because the dates conflicted with dates he was playing with Roy. I had to bone up on Country music real fast, as I was/am a Rock guy. Good paying gigs, though.

I also played the very first Buffalo Chip concert in Sturgis. Since we were the opening act, I guess technically I was in the first band that ever played the Buffalo Chip gig (which is still going strong today. The first one was in '82, I think).

Tulsa...

The Chip is going fine. It's owned by a Belle Fourche guy, btw. He's also booked a concert here in Belle for the 90th annual Roundup celebration and rodeo. Some famous country folks I'd never heard of but... as I said, I'm old. <grin>

I was in Memphis late 79-88 doing a startup magazine. No pickin' for me those years although it did get me to some decent blues even before they redid Beale Street just after we left.

Archived