Gibson Brands Forums

Trade advise

TheLiveSoundGuy

I have a guy that wants to swap my 93 Les Paul Studio for a Martin D16H. Both guitars are in excellent condition.

So basically it's this:

f70be99f.jpg

For this:

MartinD16H-1.jpg

Keep in mind, I really don't play my electrics at all anymore. Heck I'm even thinking about throwing in an old Crate G600XL solid state head and a 4x12 Jackson loaded cabinet.

So... Would ya?

It's a very personal decision, but if you like the Martin's feel and sound and you're not playing electrics, it may make a good trade for you. 16 series are nice. Book value wise they are close with the Martin maybe a $100 or so more in value than the Studio.

Does the 16-H have the optional pickup installed? If so, that's more of a bonus for you if you play plugged-in.

Good luck, let us know what you do.

16 series Martins are notorious for repair issues and you won't have a warranty. This is not to suggest you shouldn't make the deal - I have a 000C-16RGTE Aura that is a great guitar - but you should talk to your acoustic tech and seek advice before doing the deal.

The 16s have a mortise and tenon joint, not a dovetail. From a purist perspective, they are not considered as desirable as dovetail Martins from the Standard Series. Still, based on book, the trade looks pretty good.

ballcorner has a point, but keep track of humidity (don't let the Martin get to dry) and that'll help with a lot of the potential repair issues.

fishman i-beam - nice

if you'll play it, my vote goes with getting a guitar that you'll play rather than look at.

Given what you've said about no longer playing electrics, if it were me, I'd sell the Paul and go out and buy the acoustic of my (current) dreams rather than take a guitar offered to me in trade but that I might not be interested in.

I thought about that as well. Trouble is used market on Studios stinks. I'd be lucky to get $650 in in excellent condition.

I also agree about something to play rather than something to look at. It would also give me something I could take out of the house without worry about beating it up too much.

I think I've already decided, but still wanted to hear what y'all would do in my situation.

As for the guitar of my dreams? I've managed over the last few years to save my lunch money everyday, and have about $1800 set aside toward either a Dove, a Doves in Flight, or a J200.

I'd do the trade. The Martin has to be of "greater value" to you from what you have said. Let someone else look after and play the LP for a while.

I have a 335 I rarely play and might be tempted to trade if the right deal came along.

Keep up the good work towards the Dove/SJ200. Sounds like a good diet to me!

"The 16s have a mortise and tenon joint, not a dovetail." Actually, the first 16 series guitars, up to around 96, which (Im pretty sure) includes the 16H, did indeed have the dovertail joint and were nice units. If thats the case, youd begetting a 1k+ guitar in return for your Les, and, if it were me, Id jump on it.

But even a M&T series 16 sounds decent and, if it has no defects, was still an 8-900 guitar on the mkt (before the fall, anyway). Good luck.

Well I haven't laid hands on the Martin yet, but I'll see if I can get a serial number to find out what year it is.

I do know that it was purchased from, and set-up by Charley's Guitar Shop here in Dallas.

For those who may not know, this is the shop where Stevie Ray had his guitar work done in the early days, and they've worked on a few of mine over the years. I know those guys do great work.

Archived