Gibson Brands Forums

Which string gauge for my new SG?

FiggyPudding18

Hey all, looking to get my Gibson SG set up with heavier string gauges. The .9s on it right now are way too slinky especially with the Gibson short scale. I play mostly in standard, but I like to mess around with random alternate tunings and I also like a big thick sound so I know I want a higher gauge. I’m also used to playing .13s on my acoustic and don’t care about bending that much so I wouldn’t mind a similar gauge in my electric.

I want to get my guitar set up for the either .12s or .13s , but I’m a bit overwhelmed at how almost every set of strings has different combinations of gauges, unlike how with acoustic there seems to pretty much be more standard combinations. Maybe it’s just because I’m new to this. I would like to get it set up for a heavier gauge set that is more common if possible so I could always switch strings later on.

I see D’Addario has the NYXL1254 or 1356. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, out of these two or something else?

I would assume .11s or .10s would not fit the bill but I could be wrong?