Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do?

xxxlshane

I really like both of these guitars but I am not schooled in the finer details and desireables of each.

Would you buy a SG standard or a Les Paul Classic?

Please don't just say what you would do but please tell me why would you do it. What do you like/dislike about them?

Thank you for your help because depending on the moment I go back and forth on which I want.

Thanks

I would go for the LP. I think they are much prettier and I really think you get more for your money in that regard. I have only played one SG, but I thought it just lacked something. Like it sounded more "stratty" than I wanted. This is hardly an informed opinion, but either way it is my very own.

Best advice you are going to get here is to play them both and see which one begs you to take her home.

D

Best advice you are going to get here is to play them both and see which one begs you to take her home.

+1. Both are fine instruments. If you pick up a guitar that feels great and is only $200 then that's the one for you. I love my Les Pauls because of their warm sounds but when I want a shredding-like sound I turn to my cheap Sonex. Also each guitar will be slightly different (i.e. no two identical Les Paul models will have the same feel/sound). So do play a bunch of Les Pauls and a bunch of SGs (and a bunch of other guitars for that matter). I'm searching for my next semi-hollow and I have played about 30 of them so far. Right now I'm leaning towards an ES-339 but I'm going to wait until I'm thoroughly convinced that's the guitar for me (I'm pretty close though).

I would buy a SG standard.... but that's because I already have 2 pauls and one of them is just so perfect I never even use the other :D

But if it's your first gibby I would go qwith the les paul... why a classic anyway? There are other models you can choose from...

That is the problem I have played them both several times.

...and?

If it were me, I'd play them both acoustically and determine which one feels and sounds better.

Then I'd plug them into an amp and again see which one sounds better.

If the answer to both is the SG, get the SG.

On the other hand, if you really love the LP but hate the pickups you can always have those replaced.

Don't worry about affecting future value, buying a Gibson is like buying a Ford. Just enjoy them.

Good luck.

xxxlshane - I am going to guess that you are trying them out in a guitar store, probably sitting on the amp. Am I right?

Next time you go, put them on a (secure!) strap, stand up, and wander round the room as you play. I am pretty sure this will answer your question.

What kind of music do you play most? If you need the upper fret access...the SG is a lot easier, that way.

Much Lighter, too! LP's are awesome guitars, though...no doubt! LP "Classic" has really "Hot" pickups, too.

That can be good, or bad, depending on your needs/likes.

CB

Archived