Gibson Brands Forums

87 yo twins finally arrived!

ndavis1971

Way too much guitar for me. Thunderously loud...as in louder than my banner J35...yet quite and well defined with a light touch. Pure beasts of tone.  I think I can finally stop chasing the dragon.  Took them to the local guitar shop and the resident musicians said they’re the best they’ve ever played.  High praise indeed! PS thanks for the forum members steering me in the right direction!

848FE89B-09F1-4880-9F18-2D41CB14C548.jpeg

5A1C56C9-A34C-48B0-9730-9AD76F245CC3.jpeg

28458DD5-B764-4E4B-97EF-79A092790EF1.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks!  Got from two dealers. Kroydon definitely on the Martin 00 spectrum in terms of tone. Little richer and deeper and more sustain than Tuxedo. Very close to my 1926 00-18. Here are the specs:

Kroydon-Bought from seller in Canada. Had for less than 24 hours before it was sold.  Gibson’s first budget instrument brand, with the first flat-top guitars, mandolins, and banjos rolling out of Kalamazoo in late 1929, and the last some two years later.  The flat-top guitars built during that short period in 1930 are among the most lightly built and beguilingly special acoustics ever made by Gibson.  Although not for everyone - due to their fragile build and the extra light strings they run - these featherweight instruments offer the utmost in intimacy, subtlety, and responsiveness to a light to medium hand. This Kel Kroydon weighs in at 2.6 lbs with strings, which is about 25% lighter than one built a year later. The Kel Kroydon’s body is identical in construction to the early Gold Sparkle Gibson L-2 models built at the same time. The braces are shockingly small and narrow - measuring nearly half as tall as braces in later guitars – and the bridge plate is not much more than a veneer of maple at forty-thousandths of an inch thick (1mm).  The top is also stunningly thin and has noticeable deflection around the bridge and soundhole to match.  The guitar’s neck has full and round carve that’s not massive and, with its nut width of 1-3/4”, feels like a 50s Gibson neck that’s just a hair wider.  This avoids bowing seen in thin necks in later models. The bridge pins are set at 2-3/8, and the scale is 24-3/4. 

Tuxedo l00-Bought from Seller in Portland, Oregon. One of employee’s guitars. 12-fret Gibson L-00 sporting its original black finish and white pickguard. Weighing in at 3 pounds 1 ounce, it’s a featherweight guitar with surprising volume and bell-like clarity. The action is great and it plays cleanly all the way up the neck. This guitar is all original except for a replaced bridge and bridge plate, one small replaced finger brace, and a professional crack repair along bottom of fingerboard. The guitar had a neck reset in the past so playability is excellent. There is a bit of bellying between the soundhole and the bridge which we often find in these lightly built guitars. Original 3-on-a-plate tuners, ebony nut, and rare white pickguard. 12 fret models were made only for the first six months of 1932... And never again. The L-00 250 batch number indicates 1932.