Gibson Brands Forums

home made damp it - question

uncle fester

it's all of a sudden got super dry (35% w/ humidifier going full and doors closed).  I can normally manage it with the humidifier, but this is extreme.  Thinking back to various threads, I recall folks talking about home made damp its - so I put a damp sponge in a baggy with some holes in it, and placed it in the soundhole - at least until this dry spell is over or I can get to the guitar store if this doesn't work.

Went together easy and seems like a good temp solution, but does anyone have input / words of caution about going the home made route?  Thanks to all for any input...  rgds brfm

• Like 1

I keep my guitars between 30-45%, and there aren't any issues.  I start to take more agressive measures at below 30%. 

For the sponge, just make sure it's not dripping wet. Also be sure to the sponge and water are sanitized to avoid mold and bacteria growth. 

Commercial sound-hole humidifiers have denser sponges that require less refills and aren't as drippy. 

If you are using one of the small (calibrated) digital hygrometers to keep an eye on your humidity, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caliber-IV-Digital-Cigar-Humidor-Hygrometer-Calibration-Capable-Western-NEW/131722407011?epid=1704040338&hash=item1eab446c63:g:~k8AAOSwxCxT44vT, you can slip it in the soundhole (with a retrieval tether made of masking tape if the guitar is currently strung), since the wet sponge in a bag can easily get the guitar into the 60 + RH levels, which might be a bit much, long term. Hope you've found something to put under the hole-poked baggie, water stains are a pain to remove.

3 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

I recall folks talking about home made damp its - so I put a damp sponge in a baggy with some holes in it, and placed it in the soundhole....

That's what I use, but not in the soundhole.  Under the headstock will work fine - the laws of thermodynamics ensure the moisture will dissipate throughout the case (and humidify the guitar). 

I usually cut a good quality sponge in half and put two or three halves in the baggie - gives you more surface area from which to evaporate (considerably more than commercial dampits).  When it's really dry, I squeeze out the sponges, but not too much!  By a strong or light squeeze, you can semi-regulate how much moisture you're putting into the case.  (You just don't want it dripping!)

I also use these cheap-o hygrometers because I don't really need super accurate readings - within a few percentage points is close enough to tell me how the case environment is doing....

Thank you all for the feedback and tips.  Hopefully it's only temporary....  today's back up above 40% humidity. 

Some good take-aways, don't put it in so wet so that it's 'drippy' and/or beware of water stains.  62Bs comment on getting a hygrometer for in the guitar sounds like a wise way to go - will put it on the Christmas wish list.  Not sure about the shower beads ZW, they're probably better but with a sponge and water I'm not concerned of any foreign substances where as with the beads, I just don't trust them.

Thank you all again and happy hydrating!