Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 1970’s label!?

Eddiej

5 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I can only comment on the two photos you posted, but they both look typical of the 70s.  I've never seen a 70s label with the model number hand written but I see no reason to suspect it as being fake.

Okay thanks I’ve just posted more photos 

Looks fake to me. It would have a Dove bridge during this era, the crown on the headstock is wrong, the tuners are wrong, headstock binding is wrong, the pickguard is wrong....

It's all wrong. 

Unless you're getting it for under $200 and want to use it as a player, run.

According to the serial number and the Made in USA on the back of the head stock it's a 1974 or 75

ksdaddy is correct it should have a Dove style bridge  and the label should be printed.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--8gMbP0Ec--/f_auto,t_large/v1554283684/rckljbqzancdhhchmofp.jpg

The pick guard looks like a Alvarez J 200 Copy from the 70's

Edited by usernameinvalid

The pickguard does look  looks like it came right off of a 1970s Alvarez  knock off.  While I am far from an expert on 1970s Gibsons I am guessing the guitar would have an open book headstock.   Also, was Gibson still slapping  those floating braces screwed right into the center of the X brace in the mid-1970s?  Even if it has been removed (which was easy enough to do) if it had been there there will be a screw hole.

Edited by zombywoof

Check the inside of the top , See if its double braced.   The thing that throws off that top is the bridge.  A 4 pearl at that.  Those early 70s were pearled flat solid moustache bridges or bat winged.   

the headstock is a give away of being over sprayed as well.    The label is a after thought.   

Edited by slimt