Gibson Brands Forums

Plek set up.

babas

Hi . What is your opinion on the plek setup on Gibson guitars? Amongst many other acoustic guitars. I have had a J45 Gala for quite  some time.  It's a great looking and sounding guitar, but I've always found it cumbersome to play. Because of that, I very rarely play it. Is the plek setup the last word on the perfect setup, or do you still have your new Gibson's  setup by your favourite luthier? 

Agreed.  Plek is an automated leveling of the the frets and does nothing to address string height in the nut nor the saddle.  It takes a skilled eye to complete a proper setup.  Personally I'd not be concerned with getting a guitar plekked but rather see that it gets adjusted by a good luthier to your liking.  If fret leveling is necessary the setup guy/gal can take care of that.  If you like the looks and sound of the instrument take it to a good shop and get it playing better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Agreed.  Plek is an automated leveling of the the frets and does nothing to address string height in the nut nor the saddle.  It takes a skilled eye to complete a proper setup.  Personally I'd not be concerned with getting a guitar plekked but rather see that it gets adjusted by a good luthier to your liking.  If fret leveling is necessary the setup guy/gal can take care of that.  If you like the looks and sound of the instrument take it to a good shop and get it playing better.

I agree with Buc..there are some things to try before giving up on the guitar.  You may discover a great guitar.

IMHO, I think guitars change and so does players , it may not seem to be the right guitar and then some time down the road you pick it up again 

and either the guitar plays better or you do, I haven't  met a guitar that isn't a better player than me in a very long time. As some others have said give 

it some time do some tweaks to it if needed and see what happens. You might (or not)  be surprised.  Again IMHO