Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 1997 LP Studio

Kahuna Nui

Just picked up this 1997 LP Studio.  It looks like it's been chewed by a large dog, but that adds to the charm.  It's a comfy 9.1lbs, and has retrofitted grovers and a set of Irongear Alchemist P90s, but they'll probably get swapped out soon.

Plays like a dream, and there's plenty of life left in the frets.

IMG_20200118_060056.thumb.jpg.2c4e55c6a8faa5afbb4c405cebed93aa.jpgIMG_20200118_060134.thumb.jpg.e8672e213a0ce0269fdb77aa381660cf.jpgIMG_20200118_060145.thumb.jpg.10c98be873535239507be31489775e29.jpg

Story behind how I got it:

A couple of years ago I bought this Schecter Blackjack from a friend for £200.  It was a great guitar, but it just wasn't "special".

IMG_20180306_151348.thumb.jpg.af731ea995d77961d10370f301f4fd71.jpg

So I swapped it with another friend for this 1994 Fender Foto Flame Strat with Bare Knuckle Irish Tour pickups.  There was a trem arm broken off in the trem block, so I fitted a Wilkinson WV6 bridge, which took me up to a total of £235.

1056930003_IMG_20180416_07330501-01.thumb.jpeg.a16479005991a25dc32b395da1b0024d.jpeg

Last week, I listed the Strat on Facebook Marketplace offering it as a straight swap for a Studio or Special, not really expecting much response, but got a message from a chap who prefers Strats to LPs, and already had a Foto Flame, but with cracks in the photographic image.

One day later, it's mine.  For £235! I think you'll agree that that's a reasonable deal.

I also picked up the brand new and unused Steinberger spirit in the background for £200, so it was a good week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kahuna Nui said:

All around the edges. I think it's been gigged heavily, which it deserves to be. Lots of chips around the top edge near the forearm. 

They don't show in the pic. I had an all hog LP Studio I got new in '07 or '08. I'm all acoustic now.  After Gibson posted that famous video with Mark I traded my Gibson BB King for a Martin 000-28. Then sold all my amps and any ties to the electric world except for my Fender J Bass and bass amp.

It says your in the UK but your Forum Name is Hawaiian.  I lived on Oahu for a year and a half when I was in the US Coast Guard. Or do you like the High Priest moniker?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It says your in the UK but your Forum Name is Hawaiian.  I lived on Oahu for a year and a half when I was in the US Coast Guard. Or do you like the High Priest moniker?

My wife and I have been going to Hawaii for the past 25 years, the last time was last year when we went for a month for our 25th wedding anniversary.  We spent a couple of days on Maui so we could catch the ferry across to Lanai, then a week on Molokai, then the rest of the time on The Big Island.  We stayed in Kona, but drove all around the island.

The only islands we'd never been to at least once were Lanai and Molokai.  We usually used to go to Kauai, but this was the first time we hadn't spent any time there.  It's not the same as it once was, and The Big Island is our new favourite in Hawaii.

If you ever want to go somewhere that's the way you wish Hawaii was, visit Easter Island.  Fantastic place, and a lot more "Polynesian" than Hawaii.  It doesn't suffer from all the cringeworthy tourist nonsense.

One of my friends has a ukulele store on Oahu called Hawaii Music Supply.  I've done some graphic design for him, although I got most of my ukes from Scotty's on Kauai.

I know it's not a Gibson, but after the above bargain, I thought I'd try my luck on FB Marketplace again, so I posted my JEM Jr that I only paid £260 for, to see what people would offer me as a straight swap.

A chap messaged me, and today we traded guitars.

I walked away with a brand new Fender Lonestar Strat...I'm on a roll! 

Next week I'm going to see if I can trade a Harley Benton Telecaster for a '59 Burst.

s1.jpg

20 minutes ago, Kahuna Nui said:

I know it's not a Gibson, but after the above bargain, I thought I'd try my luck on FB Marketplace again, so I posted my JEM Jr that I only paid £260 for, to see what people would offer me as a straight swap.

A chap messaged me, and today we traded guitars.

I walked away with a brand new Fender Lonestar Strat...I'm on a roll! 

Next week I'm going to see if I can trade a Harley Benton Telecaster for a '59 Burst.

s1.jpg

A real '59 burst?