Gibson Brands Forums

Dove Quest

Sgt. Pepper

So I have discovered I only really like the square shouldered Gibson's and have only played one SJ-200. I've played a ton of J-45's and whatever else the guitar store has on the wall. I remember liking it but not being wowed by them.  So I sent a guy a message on Reverb just enquiringly about a Dove he was selling. I told him I just got a new Martin D-41 and had to sell my D-28, D-18, D-35 and Guild JF-30 to finance it. I also pocketed some cash after the sale if those 4 guitars. I told the guy I could not afford a guitar that cost 3 house payments, and I would have to save to get it and it would take a while. I told him I have a  '17 D-15M and a '13 000-28. Both are in great condition. The only mod is I put open back tuners on the 000 and no holes needed to be drilled. Sold the tuners so they are gone. And who can find a set of closed back Grovers if you want it stock again. He got back to me and said he would trade my 2 for the Dove. I was not excepting that response. I though I would hear "Thanks for looking, Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you ect". I am waiting to hear back. I told him I would give him no cash and think about a 2 for 1 swap. I am sure he will come back and want some cash and if so, game over. Plus I would have to ship 2 guitars to Cali. Any opinions. Here is a link to the guitar and pics of mine. Plus there are tons of D-15's out there and I could easily get another. I've owned 3.

https://reverb.com/item/30562403-clean-gibson-custom-shop-dove-antique-faded-cherry-flame-ohsc

WuOHq5V.jpg

prGk9Jr.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I got my 98 00-15 under similar circumstances.  I had a Gibson ( I can’t remember for the life of me which model) listed on ebay. A guy contacted me wanting to know if I would take 1/2 the money now, & 1/2 later. He wanted me to ship the guitar after the 1st payment. I declined his offer but told him I would be interested in a trade if by chance he had a Martin 00-15. He said he in fact did, & offered $700 & the Martin. I was asking $1450.  I accepted the offer, & I still have the Martin . A good deal is a deal where both parties are happy in the end.  (imho) I think your offer is more than fair. That’s a gorgeous Dove. Hope you can work it out with the seller. Good luck.

Edited by Paul14

15 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

I got my 98 00-15 under similar circumstances.  I had a Gibson ( I can’t remember for the life of me which model) listed on ebay. A guy contacted me wanting to know if I would take 1/2 the money now, & 1/2 later. He wanted me to ship the guitar after the 1st payment. I declined his offer but told him I would be interested in a trade if by chance he had a Martin 00-15. He said he in fact did, & offered $700 & the Martin. I was asking $1450.  I accepted the offer, & I still have the Martin . A good deal is a deal we’re both parties are happy in the end.  (imho) I think your offer is more than fair. That’s a gorgeous Dove. Hope you can work it out with the seller. Good luck.

I'm still waitng to hear form him. He is in Cali and I'm in VA. I traded my BB King straight over for my 000-28 after the Mark Agnessi video.  I've played many a 000-15 and if this deal does go through, I think it wont, I would replace the D-15M with a 000-15.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm still waitng to hear form him. He is in Cali and I'm in VA. I traded my BB King straight over for my 000-28 after the Mark Agnessi video.  I've played many a 000-15 and if this deal does go through, I think it wont, I would replace the D-15M with a 000-15.

There is something about the 15 series. Have you seen these?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=martin+0-15+custom&_sacat=0

49 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

Fun with inventory, you had some nice guitars, now have some really good ones, and looking to augment well  - good luck!  I'd be missing the BB King.

Nah, I never have to hear my wife tell me to turn it down. Missed it till I got about 1/2 a mile down the road. I've thought about it maybe twice since its been gone. Sold the amps and pedals and never looked back. I still have a '95 Fender Am Std  J and Bass amp.  I go in to a guitar store touch and electric for 5 mins, them I'm off to the acoustic room.  My D-41 is the s _ _t!  I will put that up against any Rosewood guitar. It dwarfed my D-28  in comparison which I loved dearly.

1 hour ago, Paul14 said:

There is something about the 15 series. Have you seen these?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=martin+0-15+custom&_sacat=0

Yes but when I got my last D-15M for $750 used in excellent condition I'm not paying that money for a 15 series. I've owned 3 and never paid over $750 for one. First one,  a '00 D-15, I gave to my stepson for graduating HS and told my wife I would be replacing it. She did not know I would replace it with a D-28. The second one I got I traded my ES-335 for a new '13 D-15M Burst and a Fender Am Dlx Strat for no cash. Then foolishly traded it to my friend for an '88 Am Std Fender Tele. Then last Xmas I found the '17 D-15M on GC's used site and nabbed it.

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes but when I got my last D-15M for $750 used in excellent condition I'm not paying that money for a 15 series. I've owned 3 and never paid over $750 for one. First one,  a '00 D-15, I gave to my stepson for graduating HS and told my wife I would be replacing it. She did not know I would replace it with a D-28. The second one I got I traded my ES-335 for a new '13 D-15M Burst and a Fender Am Dlx Strat for no cash. Then foolishly traded it to my friend for an '88 Am Std Fender Tele. Then last Xmas I found the '17 D-15M on GC's used site and nabbed it.

They’re pricey! Would love to have one, but no way I can swing it either. I need firewood, propane, & just shipped a 1920’s Galiano off to Jake Wildwood for neck reset. I’m scared! Couldn’t buy one if it was $750. lol

14 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

They’re pricey! Would love to have one, but no way I can swing it either. I need firewood, propane, & just shipped a 1920’s Galiano off to Jake Wildwood for neck reset. I’m scared! Couldn’t buy one if it was $750. lol

Yeah after getting the D-41 I don't need a Dove, I want a Dove. There in lies the rub. The guitar shop wants to make a sale cause their a business. So if it doesn't happen I'm not sweating it, and it would not phase me in the least, its just an itch I want to scratch. I love my 000 and D-15M and have no problem keeping them at all. Sometimes I don't know if I should just look at my D-41 or play it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Grab the Dove. You won't regret it. I've had a deeply felt relationship with Doves for many years, and absolutely adore my '95. Put a pick on it and it has the deepest, warmest tone of any acoustic guitar I've ever heard. So musical and pure.

12 hours ago, Jinder said:

Grab the Dove. You won't regret it. I've had a deeply felt relationship with Doves for many years, and absolutely adore my '95. Put a pick on it and it has the deepest, warmest tone of any acoustic guitar I've ever heard. So musical and pure.

I just talked to him. He wants me to ship him my 2 guitars and he will only ship his after he likes mine. Nope. I ain't shipping you nothing unless I get something in return. So No Go. No big deal. Just like him I can take a million pics and send them to him. I don't care if you are a revered shop. I do not and have never sold junk. My axes are clean and tight.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper