Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200, Dove or Hummingbird?

Jinder

9 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

To my earlier note - I had forgotten that one of the stores that did a demo video re-made it and works more better. 

The FHLDs sound and look terrific...love the ‘70s style bridge, just like the one on my ‘95 (I have no idea why mine has one, but I love it).

The one in the vid seems to be a really sweet and dynamic instrument. Sounds remarkably similar to mine but without the width and depth of tone that 26yrs has brought. I’ve owned three Doves, the first two had their merits but my current one is just glorious...I bought it on a day when I auditioned a ton of other guitars that a dealer friend of mine had for sale.

A lot of really beautiful instruments, and a day spent in hog heaven playing my way through them all. The Dove was very special, though. It made everything else, however exquisite they were, sound...well...ordinary. I was so lucky to find it when I did. It’s been all over my last two albums in terms of recording and writing, and is a great live guitar too.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:39 PM, Jinder said:

The FHLDs sound and look terrific...love the ‘70s style bridge, just like the one on my ‘95 (I have no idea why mine has one, but I love it).

The one in the vid seems to be a really sweet and dynamic instrument. Sounds remarkably similar to mine but without the width and depth of tone that 26yrs has brought. I’ve owned three Doves, the first two had their merits but my current one is just glorious...I bought it on a day when I auditioned a ton of other guitars that a dealer friend of mine had for sale.

A lot of really beautiful instruments, and a day spent in hog heaven playing my way through them all. The Dove was very special, though. It made everything else, however exquisite they were, sound...well...ordinary. I was so lucky to find it when I did. It’s been all over my last two albums in terms of recording and writing, and is a great live guitar too.

I have enjoyed the two baked tops I have had (sold a Taylor 614 last year to help fund my SJ-200 Historical Collection pre-war...). I suppose with all of the video samples I have heard from that whole line-up that getting a baked to or even a different entry from the lineup became important. I've often heard that there is differences between baked and real aging. I have seen some videos to illustrate these points rather clearly. That said, the baked tops in those videos never sounded bad - just different. I guess it would be bad if I was looking for a specific tone that didn't happen. 

One thing I have enjoyed on my D-41, Hummingbird and SJ-200 Standards is how they opened up from 18-24 months. I'm curious to hear if/how my baked-top does something akin to those. I suppose that getting a standard Dove for $1,000 less and forgoing the baked top would give me the same satisfaction as the other non-baked. Still, being a health patient, aging and the pandemic fuels my lack of patience button to dangerous levels. 😁

Perhaps I'll extend my fear of used when the time comes. 

I have owned and played a J-200, a Dove, and a Hummingbird. The two guitars that I still own to this day is a 2006 Doves in Flight, and a 2016 Limited Edition Dove Quilted maple guitar. I played my first Dove back in 1991, and have been in love with them ever since.

Edited by Rich H.
spelling

8 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I have enjoyed the two baked tops I have had (sold a Taylor 614 last year to help fund my SJ-200 Historical Collection pre-war...). I suppose with all of the video samples I have heard from that whole line-up that getting a baked to or even a different entry from the lineup became important. I've often heard that there is differences between baked and real aging. I have seen some videos to illustrate these points rather clearly. That said, the baked tops in those videos never sounded bad - just different. I guess it would be bad if I was looking for a specific tone that didn't happen. 

One thing I have enjoyed on my D-41, Hummingbird and SJ-200 Standards is how they opened up from 18-24 months. I'm curious to hear if/how my baked-top does something akin to those. I suppose that getting a standard Dove for $1,000 less and forgoing the baked top would give me the same satisfaction as the other non-baked. Still, being a health patient, aging and the pandemic fuels my lack of patience button to dangerous levels. 😁

Perhaps I'll extend my fear of used when the time comes. 

I’ve had a newer SJ and D41 both baked. I liked them both and would always go for the baked top if I had the choice.