Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number on different place

Wim vd Oever

The serial number of my LP is not at the back of the headstock but on the 'tip' of the headstock, so on the side, so to say the 'end' of the guitar.

Very strange........several guitarshop owners asure me that it is a real LP but they cannot explain this location of the serial number (127318, no "made in USA").

Anybody who can tell me something about this?

8 hours ago, Wim vd Oever said:

The serial number of my LP is not at the back of the headstock but on the 'tip' of the headstock, so on the side, so to say the 'end' of the guitar.

Very strange........several guitarshop owners asure me that it is a real LP but they cannot explain this location of the serial number (127318, no "made in USA").

Anybody who can tell me something about this?

Is it stamped or inked in? The LP Classics used ink stamps to make them look like they did back in the late 50's and 1960. If its like this its real. Yours may not have a bent tuner.

http://vbn8ol3.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, deeman said:

Hmm, do you have a picture? Seems odd, I've never heard of that but I'm not an expert so it could be legit.

19 hours ago, deeman said:

Hmm, do you have a picture? Seems odd, I've never heard of that but I'm not an expert so it could be legit.

59277A7A-106F-4B12-A267-81400DAF9788.jpeg

Here is what the serial number decoder says, but it has been known to be wrong. Is your LP one of these? It can't be a '63, as LP's were SG shaped then. 

Serial number: 127318

Production year: 1963
(if 'Made in USA' on headstock)
Manufactured in Kalamazoo
Production year: 1970 - 1972
(if 'Made in USA' on headstock)
Manufactured in Kalamazoo
Production year: 2012
Model: Reissue 1968 Les Paul Custom
Manufactured in Nashville

I don't recall ever hearing of that, no urban legends of numbers on the pointy end, no special runs of numbers on the pointy end, I don't recall that ever being a story that had to be corrected or a big selling point because of RARE!!!! it would be.

Is it possible someone could look at it locally and see if it had been fully refinished at some point?  That's the only reason I can come up with about a thousand years of combined guitar guys experiences.

rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

I don't recall ever hearing of that, no urban legends of numbers on the pointy end, no special runs of numbers on the pointy end, I don't recall that ever being a story that had to be corrected or a big selling point because of RARE!!!! it would be.

Is it possible someone could look at it locally and see if it had been fully refinished at some point?  That's the only reason I can come up with about a thousand years of combined guitar guys experiences.

rct

In both pics you cant really see the logo on the headstock. Could be a fake. The hardware looks old, and the guitar looks well loved, but with relic'ing and road wearing anything can be make to look older than it is. I've owned my share and seen many a Gibson and never have I seen a serial in that spot. Maybe it's Ace Frehley's old triple pup LP from the KISS Alive II days and he burned the serial off when he used to do the smoke bombs in the pup compartment. And he had the serial redone in its current spot

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

It could have had the original serial number removed for some reason like a refinish or headstock repair and the owner had it ingraved in the in the top of the headstock to identify it.  It is obviously not a 63 and I doubt it is a 2012 so i it could be a 1970-1972 if the serial number is legit.