Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual J200

Joe M

"Experts". That's funny. 

Ah, yes- the Heritage bridge. . . they did that back then. A fairly large placard of rosewood. Someone else can give the "play before pay" caution for guitars from that era, but whoever combined that quilt maple center piece on the back was having a fun day at work:

CdSpmxp.png?1

Edited by 62burst

A Common practice then to have a three piece back.  Doves were like that too.   Even with the Artist bridge. Norlin had a way to use up wood that would of been tossed .  

Ive had both the Doves and 200s with those features.  

as for value. Not much difference from your Normal models. 

I’ve had both a Dove & Heritage Custom from the early ‘70s that utilized the same bridge (but not the same inlay).

Personally, I think that guitar is a beauty.  I would not shy away from giving it a test run & serious consideration.  Most of the negatives from that era revolve around instruments being overbuilt in order to enhance durability.

It’s not as if the workers in Kalamazoo totally forgot how to build a good guitar!

Gibson started putting the Dove bridge on the J200 in 1972 so nothing unusual there although you will still some from that year with the closed mustache bridge .  I have never eyeballed one with the middle back panel though.  While I am not a fan of how that bridge looked on that guitar,  I think the back is cool looking.

Edited by zombywoof

I wouldn't shy away from that at all...give it some lap time and see how she flies. I'm sure the 3-piece backs of the era were intended to use up some pieces of timber that were pretty and potentially toneful but too small to be used for a two-piecer, but of course that was how the D35 was born, one of Martin's best guitars of the '60s/early '70s.

I have played some Norlins that have been superb, and some that have been less so. I love the look of this one though and it could well be a gem. Worth further investigation for sure!

That's a really cool looking J200. I like the three piece back. Pic #20 shows some bridge lift on the left corner. Would that be a problem, or considered normal for one of this age? There's a lot of bridge surface holding it onto the top. It would be worth trying out to hear what it sounds like...

Edited by TomPhx