Gibson Brands Forums

Worn out neck finish

LordOrange

So I was watching a John Bohlinger video on why he's against relicing guitars.

He showed a PRS DG model which he bought brand new, coated in Nitro of course and the finish on the neck had worn out nicely over the years.

I want to know if anyone here has a Gibson with the finish 'worn out' on the neck, and also how long it took to achieve that?

Thanks

In 1985 I got my first Les Paul, a wine red 1980 Standard. It was in excellent condition but the finish on the back of the neck was worn through in a “predictable” pattern. It was almost like they had clearcoated it and THEN applied the red. 

4 hours ago, LordOrange said:

I want to know if anyone here has a Gibson with the finish 'worn out' on the neck, and also how long it took to achieve that?

This would depend on many different variables.  There's no way to give an answer.  

If you wear one of these when you play, it will definitely go faster:

Edited by Black Dog

I don't have any old ones right now, my oldest is from 2012 and haven't played it enough to show any wear on the neck.  My first Les Paul was a 1968 that I bought in 1970 and I played it a lot through the early 90s, so over 20 years.  It never showed any finish wear on the neck.  It probably depends on the acidity in your skin, as well as how hard you squeeze the neck and whether or not you polish or wax the finish.  I always like to keep mine polished so they feel nice and smooth when playing.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:17 PM, Twang Gang said:

... My first Les Paul was a 1968 that I bought in 1970 and I played it a lot through the early 90s, so over 20 years.  It never showed any finish wear on the neck ... 

Same for my '79 SG Standard ... I played that guitar hard  for decades.  I always took  really good care of it, but I played the absolute snot out of it.  The back of the neck is just like it always was, and it never needed a refret either.  Fabulous guitar, btw ...