Gibson Brands Forums

Iconasm

SteveFord

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

If I stumble across a used one at a price I can afford an SG Custom would do nicely, I think.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGC63VOCWGM--gibson-custom-1963-les-paul-sg-custom-reissue-with-maestro-vibrola-vos-classic-white-3-pickup

The body size always seems a bit small so it's not really very high up on the list.  Bet they do sound nice, though.

6k, at that price why not get one for each hand.

That's one of those what are they, crazy? type of items.

So much of the guitar market is that way, I can't see it but I suppose there's a market for those kind of items.

Won't be coming home with me, though.  I could find 3 or 4 really nice guitars for the price of that one.

15 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Won't be coming home with me, though.  I could find 3 or 4 really nice guitars for the price of that one.

I've been enjoying living vicariously through your Iconasmistic life....  I really think you should pick out another 3 or 4 and just go for it!  Then get the SG custom anyways. 

30 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That's one of those what are they, crazy? type of items.

So much of the guitar market is that way, I can't see it but I suppose there's a market for those kind of items.

There's a brand new D-18 in the guitar shop I go to. Man I'm jones-en.

I'm seriously thinking about doing it. Maybe sell the D-15M or not. It would fund about 1/3 of it.

I miss that way more than my BB King.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There's a brand new D-18 in the guitar shop I go to. Man I'm jones-en.

I'm seriously thinking about doing it. Maybe sell the D-15M or not. It would fund about 1/3 of it.

I miss that way more than my BB King.

I'd like a D-18, but that's because I've already got a short scale (J45).  What's your (D41 is it)?  If long scale, I'd go J45 to get a shortscale.  Ahh, just get it.

20 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I'd like a D-18, but that's because I've already got a short scale (J45).  What's your (D41 is it)?  If long scale, I'd go J45 to get a shortscale.  Ahh, just get it.

My D-41, D-15M and J12-16GT are Martins long scale. My 000-28 is Martins shorter scale.

When I had a D-28 and D-18 at the same time there were many days I thought the 18 sounded much much better.

All the Martins I have ever owned have been Standard models.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My D-41, D-15M and J12-16GT are Martins long scale. My 000-28 is Martins shorter scale.

When I had a D-28 and D-18 at the same time there were many days I thought the 18 sounded much much better.

All the Martins I have ever owned have been Standard models.

I'm jones'n for a D-18.  I think you gotta go with it.  

You guys should have gone with me to the guy I bought my HD-28V from.  

He goes, "I'll be back in a minute" and around 10 minutes later he locates the guitar, it had the model number written on a piece of blue painter's tape on the outside of the case.  He goes, "Sorry to be gone so long, I collect Martins"...

However, they sound terrible hooked up to a Marshall so one of those is enough for me.

Today was take a vacation day, sleep and play guitars.  Restrung the Flying V with 11s and rediscovered that you sit with these like you would a classical guitar.  This one is not going anywhere if I can help it.  There's really nothing about this guitar I don't like or would change, it just needs a lot more playing time as it's basically brand new (open box special).

The neck on the SG is really thin.  I'm glad I didn't buy that Gary Clark I was looking at as I understand the neck is even thinner.  I'd feel like I'm playing a piece of uncooked vermicelli.  There may be additional SGs in my future, just not $6000 for what's basically a plank of wood.

The good news is today NO tuners decided to snap in two or go all wobbly and become totally useless.  It's a miracle!

19 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

You guys should have gone with me to the guy I bought my HD-28V from.  

He goes, "I'll be back in a minute" and around 10 minutes later he locates the guitar, it had the model number written on a piece of blue painter's tape on the outside of the case.  He goes, "Sorry to be gone so long, I collect Martins"...

However, they sound terrible hooked up to a Marshall so one of those is enough for me.

Today was take a vacation day, sleep and play guitars.  Restrung the Flying V with 11s and rediscovered that you sit with these like you would a classical guitar.  This one is not going anywhere if I can help it.  There's really nothing about this guitar I don't like or would change, it just needs a lot more playing time as it's basically brand new (open box special).

The neck on the SG is really thin.  I'm glad I didn't buy that Gary Clark I was looking at as I understand the neck is even thinner.  I'd feel like I'm playing a piece of uncooked vermicelli.  There may be additional SGs in my future, just not $6000 for what's basically a plank of wood.

The good news is today NO tuners decided to snap in two or go all wobbly and become totally useless.  It's a miracle!

If he's got a killer used or new D-18 ask him what he wants. No tuners were hurt in the typing of this post. Neved had a tuner issue that I didn't cause like accidentally whacking it into the side of something. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I bought that Martin years ago, I have no idea how to contact him.  I just remember it was was way the hell up in the middle of the state around Thanksgiving one night after work.  Looked to be a bachelor with a modest house and a room evidently packed full of guitars.

Get paid, run to Nazareth and buy a guitar, work, repeat kind of thing.

I used to work with the guy who was the president of the MUG or a local chapter or something, he was really into them.  I have one, that's enough for me.

I'll see if I can't locate him again.  If I do I'll send you his contact information along with the guy who used to be head of their repair department, they should be able to help you spend every penny you've got and then some.

2 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I bought that Martin years ago, I have no idea how to contact him.  I just remember it was was way the hell up in the middle of the state around Thanksgiving one night after work.  Looked to be a bachelor with a modest house and a room evidently packed full of guitars.

Get paid, run to Nazareth and buy a guitar, work, repeat kind of thing.

I used to work with the guy who was the president of the MUG or a local chapter or something, he was really into them.  I have one, that's enough for me.

I'll see if I can't locate him again.  If I do I'll send you his contact information along with the guy who used to be head of their repair department, they should be able to help you spend every penny you've got and then some.

The guy I go to has then for great prices.  I'm hanging out with my buddy in Mobile. I'm driving home tomorrow and I think maybe on Friday when I get home I'll drive to the shop take a look at it and maybe make a purchase.