Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod Cover Question

EDP

Hey All,

I am curious about how consistent truss rod covers are on various Gibson models.  In particular, I am looking at a 2017 Hummingbird 12-string.  These were limited editions and every picture I can find on the internet has 'Limited' in script on the truss rod cover. The one I am considering does not.

To be clear, i could not care less about this other than a concern that this particular guitar may have had work or may not be authentic.  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

People will sometimes scavenge things.  I got an H'Bird TV that the previous, original owner  swapped out the fancy case for a generic one.  Truss rod covers are real cheap - it would be easy for someone to do the same - OR swap the  more desirable one that said 'limited' for a plain one on another guitar.   I wouldn't worry about it if the rest of the guitar looks to be real. 

Just a quick search revealed two 2017 Hummingbird 12 strings without the "Limited" etched on the TRC.  Then again, neither contains any info identifying the guitars as part of a limited edition.   So assuming the year is correct, Gibson apparently released at least one other version of the HB 12 string.   What does the label on on the guitar you are looking at say?   That might clear it up - or not for as noted above TRCs are about as easy to replace as it gets.  The guitar you are eyeing could simply have a standard replacement part.

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

People will sometimes scavenge things.  I got an H'Bird TV that the previous, original owner  swapped out the fancy case for a generic one.  Truss rod covers are real cheap - it would be easy for someone to do the same - OR swap the  more desirable one that said 'limited' for a plain one on another guitar.   I wouldn't worry about it if the rest of the guitar looks to be real. 

Or opted to sell the case separately which is not unheard of. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Got it.  Very helpful.  Thanks!

34 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Just a quick search revealed two 2017 Hummingbird 12 strings without the "Limited" etched on the TRC.  Then again, neither contains any info identifying the guitars as part of a limited edition.   So assuming the year is correct, Gibson apparently released at least one other version of the HB 12 string.   What does the label on on the guitar you are looking at say?   That might clear it up - or not for as noted above TRCs are about as easy to replace as it gets.  The guitar you are eyeing could simply have a standard replacement part.

Thanks.  It is a Reverb listing so trying to get additional info.  i have been watching these come and go over the last few months.  Trying to find the right one.  Thanks again!

3 hours ago, EDP said:

Thanks.  It is a Reverb listing so trying to get additional info.  i have been watching these come and go over the last few months.  Trying to find the right one.  Thanks again!

I did find one 2017 on Reverb.  If it is the  same one you are looking at it appears top have a white rather than orange label  which would indicate it s not one of the limited edition versions.

I put wide white truss rod covers on all my J200s.   

I think the only time I seen a limited cover was on SGs  and a few les pauls. Es 135s       It would not surprize me to see a limited on a 12 string hummingbird.    And The label does not have to read the same thing. 

You can get a Custom Truss Rod cover in the link below.  They are not cheap but they are precision and exactly done as Gibson does them. They can scribe them with with whatever you want and they are really good quality. I've bought a few of them. One for my Hummingbird and another with J-45 for my two Gibsons.  Very good company and they deliver them fast. Here is the link below. Good luck! I am a fan of truss rod covers, and like them to be exactly as Gibson makes them. They will scribe Limited, or Custom, or Hummingbird, or J-45 ...or even your name ...whatever you wish. And they are two ply covers with the white perimeter just like Gibsons. Very high quality, as I would not put anything cheesy on my beloved Gibsons, and these did not dissapoint!

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/truss-rod-covers/

11 hours ago, slimt said:

I put wide white truss rod covers on all my J200s.   

I think the only time I seen a limited cover was on SGs  and a few les pauls. Es 135s       It would not surprize me to see a limited on a 12 string hummingbird.    And The label does not have to read the same thing. 

Thanks.   Good to know!

4 hours ago, ALD323 said:

You can get a Custom Truss Rod cover in the link below.  They are not cheap but they are precision and exactly done as Gibson does them. They can scribe them with with whatever you want and they are really good quality. I've bought a few of them. One for my Hummingbird and another with J-45 for my two Gibsons.  Very good company and they deliver them fast. Here is the link below. Good luck! I am a fan of truss rod covers, and like them to be exactly as Gibson makes them. They will scribe Limited, or Custom, or Hummingbird, or J-45 ...or even your name ...whatever you wish. And they are two ply covers with the white perimeter just like Gibsons. Very high quality, as I would not put anything cheesy on my beloved Gibsons, and these did not dissapoint!

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/truss-rod-covers/

Cool.  Thanks

Thanks All,

This has been very helpful.  The seller contacted Gibson and got confirmation of the year and that they made 50-75 that year but that is all.  I think Zombywoof is correct that it is not a limited edition.

So the question then is whether this has any impact on value?  If the limited run was 40 or so and there are another 20 or so 2017 12-string birds out there, does this lower the value on those?  I am assuming the Limiteds were sold with a higher price point originally although i cannot find any info on that.  To be clear, I am not going to sweat a few hundreds bucks on a great guitar but would not want to overpay by $1000... 

These guitars are rare and this one is being sold as-is no returns from credible (at least on Reverb) seller.  My assumption would be that the non-Limiteds have slightly lower value and may be more difficult to sell down the road?

Thanks again, Eric 

Sometimes the 'Limited'  is a run made just for one of Gibson's Five Star Dealers.  Specs the dealer think will stand out and sell.  Sometimes they are more 'cosmetic' than  meat and potatoes.  For example,  is it only blinged up a bit with some abalone?     I'd try to find out (from the seller) what the difference is.  Just the fact that there are fewer of them would not justify a $1K higher price.  If, on the other hand, it were a bracing or dovetail neck enhancement - for a 12 string, it might be worth it.  The seller might be the original owner and have the spec sheet normally included in the case.  G'Luck. 

Edited by fortyearspickn

All this talk of Gibson 12 stringers just keeps reminding me that I have been putting off restringing my'61  B45-12.  Oddly, this is the one guitar which I think sounds better with the combination of ADJ bridge and rosewood saddle.   I like the rosewood saddle so much I went and bought a second one I found on eBay.