Gibson Brands Forums

R.I.P. Justin Townes Earle

zombywoof

Did he take his own life (one way or another)? Was info released? His dad was certainly a hard-core, hard-life example, but not all of us get pulled off the ledge in time.

He had a few nice songs though.

Edited by jedzep

13 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Did he take his own life (one way or another)? Was info released? His dad was certainly a hard-core, hard-life example, but not all of us get pulled off the ledge in time.

He had a few nice songs though.

He OD'ed. I looked it up today. I saw him in 2010. He was really good. He talked openly about his battle with drugs at the show.

One guy at the show kept yelling he was cheating. I think since JTE was solo, he had a looper with rhythm tracks since his band was not there that night.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

A talent gone way too soon. He was a powerful writer, and his picking style was engaging.

I was intrigued by the fact that for the past few years, he played what some would (wrongfully) consider "lower-end" Asian instruments, like Loars or Recording Kings. I mean, here's a guy who could play anything he wanted, or just borrow a vintage guitar from his dad's stash.

I read an interview where he was asked about that, and he said that early in his career, when he played pricier guitars, he got tired of people coming up to him after gigs and saying they wanted to learn guitar and what kind of a guitar did he have and he'd tell them it was a $2,000 guitar or whatever it cost and he'd see their faces drop. So he started playing smaller-bodied Loars and Recording Kings, which are a lot more affordable.

Given his playing style, the guitars really worked for him. He also was big on using the Baggs M1 pickup.

Justin was a young ,caring ,talented man who wrote beautiful songs through a wounded soul .

However hard he tried to get clean the wounds pulled him back under .

I wish he was here putting pen to paper , blessing us with his honest story telling songs .

I hope Justin is in a place where he can rest comfortably.