Gibson Brands Forums

Did explorer pickguards change in 2010

sydbarret

I had a 2006 76 RI.  I got a WD pickguard for it and it was pretty close, but didn't fit right.  That was before 2010 though. One of two WDs I ever got that didn't fit right, of literally dozens of their pickguards.  The other was my SG.

rct

23 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Damn, you're right. And frets, too!

Gibson went the other way a while back and remember when their frets were Cryogenically Treated? AKA dipped in Liquid Nitrogen.  Where I work we use it in the wind tunnel to chill the tunnel down to negative 250 fahrenheit, and I dipped a set of string in  a bucket once.  I guess the theory is once you dip it in LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) it is supposed to re-arrange the molecules in the metal and make it harder I guess. When I dipped my strings in LN2 I heard no difference and the strings didn't last longer. I think Dean Markley does the same thing with their Blue Steel Electric Guitar Strings. I used then on my electrics when I had them. I did like their electric strings.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

We used liquid nitrogen on aircraft sub assemblies to shrink fit bushes into 'interference fit' holes. Useful stuff. Never thought of putting guitar strings in it though. 

I had a quick look at the explorer pickguards. If you know what your looking for you can usually find someone that makes them. Here in the uk, there are different price points for different quality. It might mean using e-bay, but the perfect world is still a WIP.

• 2 weeks later...