Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Studio

James F

I have one. I love the narrower body width. I have swapped out the tuners and pickguard on mine for simply aesthetic preference, but the tuners it came with worked great too. For the last few months I have had Martin Lifespan Lights on them for about four months, and they are still going strong:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/41Y18MA540T--martin-authentic-acoustic-lifespan-2.0-treated-guitar-strings-92-8-phosphor-bronze-light

They are coated and 12-54s (many lights are 12-53s). I also have a set of Martin Retro nickel strings I am going to try next... These are "light-mediums":

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/41Y19MLJ13--martin-retro-acoustic-guitar-strings-013-056-ljs-choice

Have fun experimenting...  I also have a J45, which wears Elixir PB Lights. Those sound best on that guitar in my opinion. Strings are a great way to experiment with tone, and changing them to me is not a chore, but a form of therapy.

Photo of mine - 2nd from the left:

c66fmjx.jpg

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigKahune said:

That’s strange.

Bought new or used?

Bought it brand new from musicians friend. I noticed on the web that music villa in Bozeman Mt has some. It appears they put hummingbird fretboards on some and finished the neck like a regular J45. I have to admit it gorgeous 

I‘d say, you are a lucky guy, Dave. I think, the split parallelograms are the best inlays ever. Cool looking guitar!

Could be that Gibson produced more Hummingbird fretboards than they sold Hummingbird guitars and found a good use for those fretboards. Something like those ‚Hummingdoves‘ they made in the past when they used the Dove maple bodies for Hummingbirds.

23 hours ago, James F said:

I was wondering what your experience was with these guitars. I have MS and have to play from a wheelchair and bought one of these and am impressed with it so far. It comes with light gauge string. Will it handle medium gauge?

I used mediums on my Hummingbird and had no problems. I also read more than once that all Gibsons can stand mediums.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Z said:

I‘d say, you are a lucky guy, Dave. I think, the split parallelograms are the best inlays ever. Cool looking guitar!

Could be that Gibson produced more Hummingbird fretboards than they sold Hummingbird guitars and found a good use for those fretboards. Something like those ‚Hummingdoves‘ they made in the past when they used the Dove maple bodies for Hummingbirds.

It really makes it look sharp. This is one of the best looking guitars I’ve seen. Looks like a supermodel sitting next to my old D18

16 hours ago, James F said:

It really makes it look sharp. This is one of the best looking guitars I’ve seen. Looks like a supermodel sitting next to my old D18

Sorry James, I have no idea where my had has been 16 ours ago when I called you Dave.😲

And yes, that guitar looks very sharp, congrats!