Gibson Brands Forums

CopperSound/ Jack White Collaboration - Third Man Triplegraph

Rabs

2 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I can't say I would ever buy a White Stripes album. I like what they did the same way I like what the Ramones did - but I wouldn't buy any of their records either.  Jack White does indeed seek out crappy cheap gear and that is part of the whole vibe.  

Yep. I am so sick of 7 Nation Army. I heard it every damn weekend at ECU football games during football season. The band would play it about 10 times through the game.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

45 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I can't say I would ever buy a White Stripes album. I like what they did the same way I like what the Ramones did - but I wouldn't buy any of their records either.  Jack White does indeed seek out crappy cheap gear and that is part of the whole vibe.  

I feel the same about the Foo Fighters too..  Not the hugest fan but what I like of theirs I really like and I really respect Dave Grohl .. After loosing Kurt and then being able to move on. But again, he is just a really hard worker and a music fan as I see Jack White..

I think a lot of people dont like his music because its quite angular..  Its often jarring especially live and in the White Stipes days. But I think thats very much done on purpose... It is more like a concept band than anything which apparently it was.. From what I remember reading The White Stripes wasnt even really ever meant to be heard, it was a demo tape he did I think as proof of his writing abilities, it was the record company that pushed for it to be released..

The Raconteurs are a bit different though. I think more like the band that he had in mind in the first place. I really like them, both their albums are really good (IMO).. I think being part of a band like that probably curbs some of his more crazy musically creative ideas. I wonder though if he had gone straight in to a band like this if his "signature" sound would have been very different. In this band he has already established his sound so its still White Stripesish but better I think.

Edited by Rabs

17 hours ago, Rabs said:

I feel the same about the Foo Fighters too..  Not the hugest fan but what I like of theirs I really like and I really respect Dave Grohl .. After loosing Kurt and then being able to move on. But again, he is just a really hard worker and a music fan as I see Jack White..

I think a lot of people dont like his music because its quite angular..  Its often jarring especially live and in the White Stipes days. But I think thats very much done on purpose... It is more like a concept band than anything which apparently it was.. From what I remember reading The White Stripes wasnt even really ever meant to be heard, it was a demo tape he did I think as proof of his writing abilities, it was the record company that pushed for it to be released..

The Raconteurs are a bit different though. I think more like the band that he had in mind in the first place. I really like them, both their albums are really good (IMO).. I think being part of a band like that probably curbs some of his more crazy musically creative ideas. I wonder though if he had gone straight in to a band like this if his "signature" sound would have been very different. In this band he has already established his sound so its still White Stripesish but better I think.

I absolutely loath the Foo Fighters. Their brand of rock is just mundane and there is absolutely nothing special or unique about it. 

Plus David to me is just a drummer from some lame 90's band who had a junkie for a guitarist and songwriter,  and now Dave plays guitar for his own lousy band. And he took half of Sunny Day Real Estate with him. I liked SDRE. Fuk you Dave.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I absolutely loath the Foo Fighters. Their brand of rock is just a mundane and there is absolutely nothing special or unique about it. 

Plus David to me is just a drummer from some lame 90's band who had a junkie for a guitarist and songwriter,  and now Dave plays guitar for his own lousy band. And he took half of Sunny Day Real Estate with him. I liked SDRE. Fuk you Dave.

You're on form today Sgt!!

[laugh]

Edited by jdgm

I'm with you... They're boring. 

And Nirvana were a Dinosaur Jr packaged for mass consumption. 

Or something like that. 

And man oh man, how I hated that Temple of the dog record. I still do. It makes the Foo Fighters seem like a shot of pure adrenaline. 

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The one before that was good too. The one with the 3 legged dog was just okay. Then it was over. The song Would? is so bad a-ss.

Now me broken by my master.

Something like that. Although I Only like a couple songs on the first one. It's okay, but "Dirt" just blew it out of the water so hard, I look at it as a demo,  kind of. 

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Grunge only?  Yeah AIC was my favorite of that era.  I saw them open for Van Halen.  Great band and yeah I could still listen to "Dirt".  Well except the one about the Rooster. 🐔

I saw them with Primus at Lollapalooza in '93. AIC should have been the headliner not Primus. I like Primus but after a bit it gets old hearing Les Claypool go "Do Do Do Do, Doot Doot Da Do" over and over on  his bass.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

You really went out on a limb with that one.

Well it certainly isn't Mudhoney or those f-in lame-o's Pearl Jam.

The Fleet Foxes are good, and Sunny Day Real Estate (now broken up) and Heart had some good early albums before they got really lame in the 80's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think the FF and MH are both bands that are in the c-rap genera of music.

Mm. Possibly the Screaming Trees too. I can never remember if I've heard them. Same rags-to-heroin story, if I remember correctly. Maybe I get them mixed up while I'm scouring the Internet for rare U2 memorabilia. 

13 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Mm. Possibly the Screaming Trees too. I can never remember if I've heard them. Same rags-to-heroin story, if I remember correctly. Maybe I get them mixed up while I'm scouring the Internet for rare U2 memorabilia. 

I remember the Trees. They were popular for a minute. I think Mother Love Bone had the main guy OD, not sure about the Trees.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I remember the Trees. They were popular for a minute. I think Mother Love Bone had the main guy OD, not sure about the Trees.

Now I remember. Can't remember if he OD'd but I just read his autobiography, and it was all about how he did heroin and crack and then stopped. 

It was a snoozefest.