Gibson Brands Forums

2020 SJ-200 Pre War

Huley

Well, I did it. After selling a kidney on the black market (for less than expected), I finally managed to scrape enough money together to purchase the Gibson Historic 2020 SJ-200 Pre-War. Rejoice! And let me tell you, pictures don’t due this thing justice. It is drop dead GORGEOUS!

Now comes the fun/frustrating part, which is dialing everything in to fit my sound & style. This is my first rosewood b/s guitar, and it’s not falling for my usual mahogany  tricks (i.e. ebony bridge pins, medium D’Addario PB EJ-17s). 

I feel like she’s capable of more tone than she’s giving. Great balanced mids & highs, but the low end is much tamer than I expected. Almost muddy, even. I know it’s all subjective, but does anyone with rosewood experience have string recommendations or advice? I’m a straight up strummer. No finger/flat picking of any kind. Imagine what singer-songwriters were doing in the 90s, and that’s my sound in a nutshell. Or if you’re super curious, search Spotify for Twelve Days in June. That handsome fella in the red & white raglan shirt is me. 😉

Thank you!

Dave

Congrats - Beautiful guitar, love that pickguard - I've had my Historic 1957 SJ-200 for 6 days now! Still going through the 'honeymoon' period.

I have a friend with many years of guitar experience and he likes to start with 80/20's on all his rosewood guitars then swap them if he thinks it needs it - I'm not usually a big fan of 80/20's myself but I'm considering trying them on my 1st SJ-200 string change.

Edited by Brucebubs

4 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Congrats - Beautiful guitar, love that pickguard - I've had my Historic 1957 SJ-200 for 6 days now! Still going through the 'honeymoon' period.

I have a friend with many years of guitar experience and he likes to start with 80/20's on all his rosewood guitars then swap them if he thinks it needs it - I'm not usually a big fan of 80/20's myself but I'm considering trying them on my 1st SJ-200 string change.

Thanks for the advice! I’m not usually a fan of 80/20s either, but definitely worth giving it a shot to see how the guitar takes to them. 

I'm also a strummer and have used plain ol' Jim Dunlop .60mm nylon picks for as long as I can remember but just 2 days ago I tried a celluloid pick and the guitar went up another notch - louder and clearer.

Some other strings you might like to consider are Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze - great volume and a touch brighter than PB's

and GHS makes 'Signature Bronze' and 'Americana Bronze' series strings and both are recommended for adding brightness to warm sounding guitars.

Edited by Brucebubs

1 hour ago, Brucebubs said:

I'm also a strummer and have used plain ol' Jim Dunlop .60mm nylon picks for as long as I can remember but just 2 days ago I tried a celluloid pick and the guitar went up another notch - louder and clearer.

Some other strings you might like to consider are Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze - great volume and a touch brighter than PB's

and GHS makes 'Signature Bronze' and 'Americana Bronze' series strings and both are recommended for adding brightness to warm sounding guitars.

Great recommendations! I appreciate it very much. I’ve always wanted to try those EBs, so this gives me a good excuse to finally do it!

16 minutes ago, Peter Z said:

I just have the standard SJ-200 and tried Gibson and Martin PB. 3 weeks ago I switched to 80/20 and like them much more after a day of being too bright. But mine is a maple!

Thank you! I’d been resisting, but I think I’ll have to try the 80/20s. I’ve seen this come up for SJ-200s a few times now, so there’s got to be something to it. 

I have EB Aluminum Bronze on my D-18 now. I think they would be too bright on my (maple!!!) SJ-200 but worth a try.
Also, if the guitar is completely new, give her a few days to get used to her new environment. I don’t know why, but I bought 4 new Gibsons this year and all of them needed a bit of time. And check you relative humidity. If it’s higher that 50% the sound, especially of a new guitar, will get muddy quickly.

Also it is true, that the bass is not very loud (that can be good for a strummer)  but deep.

Next thing is not to compare guitars directly. It can lead to wanting more and more and more of highs or lows or whatever. If I play my D-18 directly after my Dove it can sound muddy. But playing the D-18 for 20 minutes without comparing, it is perfect. As is the Dove - just with another sound.

Edited by Peter Z
  • Like 2

First off, congratulations on your new SJ-200 Pre-War. I bought mine in early July. It's a class act guitar.

My first comment would be to remind anyone to make sure it is set up nicely if it was not. Mine was from the online dealer I bought it from. IIRC, I think this would be especially advisable if you went up to mediums.  Sometimes, a good set up matters on overall sound.

On the string front, I did not like the EJ-16s on mine. The balance was too sparkly. My low-end decreased. It took two month for me to warm up to them. I changed to these strings because it was what I was told they put on after the setup. I discovered during the string change that they had left the Gibson PBs on there. I just switched back to them 5 days ago. Sounds more like it did when I do the guitar.

I changed my Maple SJ-200 to the PB-16's at the same time so that I could compare both guitars. I took the Elixer nanos 80/20 off. Tons of low end was gone. 2 months later, though, they developed a great sense of warmth.

On my Martin D-41 (RW B&S), I put a set of DR's Veritas strings on it. My favorite for that guitar to date. Rich, deep sound. It would not surprise me one bit if these became the string to use for more than one guitar. They did feel a little odd to fret at first. I am a fan, though.

10 hours ago, Peter Z said:

I have EB Aluminum Bronze on my D-18 now. I think they would be too bright on my (maple!!!) SJ-200 but worth a try.
Also, if the guitar is completely new, give her a few days to get used to her new environment. I don’t know why, but I bought 4 new Gibsons this year and all of them needed a bit of time. And check you relative humidity. If it’s higher that 50% the sound, especially of a new guitar, will get muddy quickly.

Also it is true, that the bass is not very loud (that can be good for a strummer)  but deep.

Next thing is not to compare guitars directly. It can lead to wanting more and more and more of highs or lows or whatever. If I play my D-18 directly after my Dove it can sound muddy. But playing the D-18 for 20 minutes without comparing, it is perfect. As is the Dove - just with another sound.

These are all such great points, thank you! Especially reminding me to be aware of my environmental surroundings. The humidity has been higher than usual, and I’m sure it’s contributing to that dampening effect. 

13 hours ago, Peter Z said:

That comment about the bass may be one of the differences between a SJ-200 Standard and the new Historic SJ-200 with torrefied tops and hide glue?

Bass is definitely deep as you say but I'm finding no problem with the volume with my Maple 1957-SJ-200.

Honestly I have no idea, Bruce, since I never had the chance to touch a Historic SJ-200. You are blessed.
I didn’t mean the bass is too week, the guitar sounds perfectly balanced. The Martin D-18MD and the Gibson Dove have a stronger bass, in case of the Martin also more low mids. Sometimes that is nice sometimes not. All wonderful guitars. Man, I‘d like to spend a few minutes with your SJ!

4 minutes ago, Peter Z said:

Honestly I have no idea, Bruce, since I never had the chance to touch a Historic SJ-200. You are blessed.
I didn’t mean the bass is too week, the guitar sounds perfectly balanced. The Martin D-18MD and the Gibson Dove have a stronger bass, in case of the Martin also more low mids. Sometimes that is nice sometimes not. All wonderful guitars. Man, I‘d like to spend a few minutes with your SJ!

I have a really nice Epiphone EJ-200 too, plays beautifully but you need a firm right hand to get the most out of it.

There was even a time when I worried that it might be really close to a real and much more expensive  SJ-200.

Boy was I wrong!

3t5ZiMSl.jpg

You're welcome to come play my guitars if the world ever gets back to what it was.

Takamine D-70 - Morris B-50 - Guild F-412 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special - Martin JDP II - Epiphone EJ-200 - Dan Dubowski #61 - Alvarez ABT-60 - Kittis RBJ-195 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom - Rickenbacker 4003 and my new Historic 1957 SJ-200.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Sterling Morris said:

anyone no where I can get a new pickguard for my 2020 Pre War SJ200, all the art work has worn off from it ?

Thanks

Sterling 

I have a new , actually from 1994 with a backing still on it.   prewar guard for a sj200.   Ren hand carved this one as a spare for My SJ200 CS  See if Gibson will sell you one. If not ,mine wont be cheap. And I have No intention  of using it . 

3 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Is it possible one could wear out in year?

Good question.   If its the double line border  guard. The grooves are deep.  Same with the flowers.     Ive seen the 50s single border style colors wear out. But they were over a good period of time. 

I've touched or seen the '57 version. The Pre-War version takes on an old-timey unsealed appearance and feel. One can run their fingers across the PG and feel the actual engravings and the inserts. My 2018 Hummingbird Standard looks like a layer of sealant has been applied over engraving and it's perfectly smooth to the touch. 

At first I didn't like that aspect of the PG on the Pre-War, but I grew in favor if it in a short amount of time.

14 hours ago, Sterling Morris said:

anyone no where I can get a new pickguard for my 2020 Pre War SJ200, all the art work has worn off from it ?

Thanks

Sterling 

Might keep a watch on Reverb if Gibson is in short supply or otherwise unable to sell you one. 

Just thinking now, too, that it might be interesting to see a picture of your worn out guard. On a related note, perhaps Gibson CS might be the ones to procure one for you. We didn't pay this kind of money for 1-year pick guards.