Gibson Brands Forums

Tone search...

WhitePunkOnDope

19 hours ago, WhitePunkOnDope said:

So the Origin 20 came and out of the box I was able to dial in a tone similar to the one I've come accustomed to with my Guitar Rig models...glad I went with the 20 and not the 50...even at mid power (3w) it's loud.. down to low (apparently .5 watt) but more than enough for the bedroom. (Yes you lose a bit of bottom when you turn the power down but not bad enough to worry about). Hoping that it will get even nicer as I break the speaker in....

On the Blues Jr front I spent some more time with it and it seems a bit better, maybe the speaker is breaking in, maybe my ears are becoming more used to it? It still doesn't sound 'great' with any overdrive IMO...but the cleans are lovely... I have a 5751 pre amp valve for V1 coming as apparently that mellows the pre amp stage (70% gain vs 100% for 12Ax7) and passes less fizz to the power amps.. all in all getting there...

So here's a few pics.....chucked in the Lester shot (2009 Traditional with 57 classics)

20201124_132324.jpg

WP_20160320_11_11_09_Pro_LI (3).jpg

That is a nice rig. Both should serve you fine. 

I put the 5751 in V1 of the Blues Jr, took away the pedals...cranked Vol to 8-9, master to 3-4 and hey presto...a pretty nice crunchy tone! I just put the EQ to 6 (half way) across the board, reverb just below 2 (it sounds like you are in a cave any higher)

Seems to work better with my darker humbucker guitars for crunch than the single coils...makes sense I suppose with the higher output...anyone looking for quick and cheap way to change up their tone, try swapping V1 tube...

Warning, this tweaking is addictive! lol...Must spend more time playing than messin'...😃

Oh and the 12Ax7 Tung Sol I took out of the BJ I put in V2 of the Origin...tried V1 but liked the stock Marshall branded (I think it's JJ) for some reason as the Tung Sol seemed even brighter....

Edited by WhitePunkOnDope

4 hours ago, WhitePunkOnDope said:

I put the 5751 in V1 of the Blues Jr, took away the pedals...cranked Vol to 8-9, master to 3-4 and hey presto...a pretty nice crunchy tone! I just put the EQ to 6 (half way) across the board, reverb just below 2 (it sounds like you are in a cave any higher)

Seems to work better with my darker humbucker guitars for crunch than the single coils...makes sense I suppose with the higher output...anyone looking for quick and cheap way to change up their tone, try swapping V1 tube...

Warning, this tweaking is addictive! lol...Must spend more time playing than messin'...😃

Oh and the 12Ax7 Tung Sol I took out of the BJ I put in V2 of the Origin...tried V1 but liked the stock Marshall branded (I think it's JJ) for some reason as the Tung Sol seemed even brighter....

sounds like tweaking by yourself is going well - very cool, now how's it sound in a mix?    do you have any band like opportunities to see how each cuts through and sounds in multi instrument setting?

@uncle fester Don't play in any bands currently...used to play 'professionally' back in the 90's in punk/pop band..if you call 2 fingered power chords 'professionally'...lol. Played some big shows though, Glastonbury, Reading Festival, Lilith Fair, and lots of gig's/festivals around Europe and US.

Just home noodling now along to records, classic stuff like Zep, Stones, Zappa, Tubes, Floyd etc. etc..tone seems to sit in ok...

@ghost_of_fl No TS I'm afraid...although someone I know is selling Wampler Tumnus and I'm very tempted! Supposed to be a good Klon type pedal... but do I really need another OD pedal? Already have the EHX Hot tubes, Crayon, and Keeley Aria has Red Dirt/ White Sands OD's too.....any Tumnus users out there want to give me their experience?...