Gibson Brands Forums

Es-335 broken knobs

Pierre Barr

Hey all!

I have that ES-335 that I bought used about 2 years back.  The knobs cracked on it, the hardware is getting mate and there is that weird bubble under the finish (see pics). I know it is not normal but could it mean?  Does it mean My basement is too humid?  Too dry?  It sucks for the knobs but I just want to make sure the whole guitar is not gonna crack bend or anything...

301EA403-3C28-4BEA-AF5B-27DB7C2A4836.jpeg

45D88D7D-9DB4-4AA9-834A-B42176BD55B3.jpeg

8621563E-FF36-4F7C-9FF8-D0A331460250.jpeg

FAE55B5A-CAFC-433F-ACC5-D860287A7A5B.jpeg

I cant see any 'bubble' under the finish, but I picked up an Epi once that was reduced because of a bubble under the paint on the headstock. That was probably due to a problem in the paint booth. If yours has only recently shown its possible that your suspicion about humidity has merit.

I agree with Steve that tuners & bridge show tarnishing. Its possible to check humidity if you use a hygrometer. Useful to have. Usual humidity is reckoned to be around 35%-45%

• 3 weeks later...

High humidity usually cracks the nitro finish on the body. 

I believe knob cracking is caused by a physical force. I had the same thing when I had my ES on my lap, face down, as I cleaned the back. A little pressure rubbing the back  just cracked a knob. ... easily changed for a few bucks.

Have you put a hygrometer where you have this stuff to see what the RH% is?  That's the only way you'll know.  You can get them on Amazon,  you don't have buy expensive ones, but I'd put one ore two in the area to see what it's reading   Ideally you want it around 50% RH.  

something like this

Hydgrometer

If the RH is too high constantly, you're going to have mold eventually and you don't want that.  And, I'd be looking for signs of rust on metal parts.

A dehumidifier would be in order if you're over 65% RH, but a lot really has to do with your climate.

If your under 35% RH, then you need it a bit wetter.

For example I'm in Massachusetts, and it's pretty dry here in the winter (low 20s for RH).  We're usually working at pumping moisture into the air not trying to take it out.

Edited by kidblast