Gibson Brands Forums

Can You Identify That Model?

bertrandbrebis

Hi,

Thank you for accepting me here, this is my first post!

I had this HB in 1973 and it was stolen from me in 1976.  I have old photos of that time and I'm surprised by the inlays in the fret board and the white dots on the pick guard.  Do you know what year/model of HB it is?

Actually I'm still sad about losing that guitar to the point where I'm about to order the VCS 2019 model :-)  It was my first guitar, it might be my last one!

Cheers

christian-jasinski-1.jpg

The screwed-on pickguards were typical of 1968 or so for Gibson flat tops in general. The belly-down bridge came in about that same time, and some apparently had nickel tuner buttons rather than plastic keystone tuner buttons. The sources I have say that the rectangular board inlays came in about 1971, so that further complicates things.

If the guitar wasn't new when you got it, you would have to say it was only a few years old, probably five at the most, and more likely 2-3.

I don't suppose you have a serial number or other details, which might be more definitive?

A Hummingbird was a Hummingbird in those days, with the only variants being the natural top versus the cherryburst top, as far as I know.

Just throwing my opinion in...it sure looks 1970-71 or later due to the inlays.

As to the guard..... I don't know if it would be physically possible to countersink the screws deep enough so you could cover them with an inlaid dot. I would speculate someone found a stack of leftover 1968-ish guards with screw holes in them and decided to drill them out to 0.250" and inlay a dot in place of the screw hole.

Far fetched, but this is Gibson we're talking about.

1 hour ago, slimt said:

Dots could be decoration as well.  Never thought of a countersink screw deep enough  for the dot overlay 

ksdaddy's guess--leftover screw-on guards modified for dots--seems plausible. Those guards were thick, so it might well be possible to countersink enough for a glued-in dot, particularly if the screws were left out. 

The screws themselves were tiny. Remember, they didn't even go all the way through the top. I originally had one of these screwed-on guards on the 1968 top (Gibson re-top) on my "original" 1950 J-45. The screws were about the same gauge as truss rod cover screws, but with flat heads. Maybe #2 or #3 gauge, no more than 1/4" long I think they were black, but can't remember with certainty.

When I took the guard off to strip the cherryburst top, I remember thinking "these screws can't be all that's holding this thing on."

But they were.

The guards were thick enough to be semi-rigid.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

ksdaddy's guess--leftover screw-on guards modified for dots--seems plausible. Those guards were thick, so it might well be possible to countersink enough for a glued-in dot, particularly if the screws were left out. 

The screws themselves were tiny. Remember, they didn't even go all the way through the top. I originally had one of these screwed-on guards on the 1968 top (Gibson re-top) on my "original" 1950 J-45. The screws were about the same gauge as truss rod cover screws, but with flat heads. Maybe #2 or #3 gauge, no more than 1/4" long I think they were black, but can't remember with certainty.

When I took the guard off to strip the cherryburst top, I remember thinking "these screws can't be all that's holding this thing on."

But they were.

The guards were thick enough to be semi-rigid.

True enough.  When I read what KS daddy was saying.  It made sense.   I recall having LG0s with the screwed on guard    Never took them off to check though.