Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61 or SG Customshop VOS -

singlecoil

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in a 61 reissue and a customshop VOS that's supposed to be the same guitar with an aging treatment..are the bodies different or the necks or what..I am asking becaused in the used market the 61's sell for more..I dont understand it..

Seems that nowadays they use a Nashville bridge on a '61 RI, but a vintage correct ABR-1 on the historic VOS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My 1997 '61 RI SG has an ABR-1 (factory fit). Maybe that's why the older 61's fetch a higher price than the new ones, plus by now thay have a 'naturally distressed' finish - the nickel hardware especially.

The VOS Has A Thinner Finish. 3 PU. It Also Has A maestro vibrola.

No, there are different types of VOS SG's. The one you're talking about is the SG Custom VOS w/ 3 pickups and a Maestro Vibrola. There's also the SG Custom VOS w/ 3 pickups and a stopbar tailpiece, SG Custom Reissue VOS w/ 3 pickups but comes in either Faded Cherry or Classic white, SG Standard VOS w/ a stopbar tailpiece, SG Standard Reissue VOS, SG Special VOS, and the SG Standard VOS w/ Maestro Vibrola. So there are 7 types of SG VOS's.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to the forum' date=' so please go easy on me. I keep seeing the term VOS thrown around, and I have no idea what it means. Vintage Old Stock? I have no idea. Who can straighten me out?[/quote']

Welcome! The guys here are very knowledgeable and helpful! Some of them are even funny! O:)

There are some others difference guys. The CS model have a long tenon for sure and if SG from CS is as accurate as LP I'm sure that there are very small holes inside the cavity. On "Made in USA" models holes for wiring are very large therfore you loose some wood. And I'm sure that neck on SG CS is thicker than on Reissue '61 because all necks are thinner on "Made in USA" models than on CS models. For example if you take a LP with a 60 profile neck you will realize that it's thinner than a R0 neck.

I have a Reissue '62 YES I say '62 from 89 and I think these models were more accurate than current Reissue '61. I think Gibson did it because nowadays if you want an accurate Reissue you have to get a CS model and it's more expensive.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The Vos they pay a little more attion to the Beveled edges and the Body is one piece and AA od AAA Grade /on the regular 61 most I have seen are one piece but i did see a few 3 piece body's and some the bevels are not right as I have the real ones to compare with the neck is Shallower but for some this is a good thing but it also meens less sustain if you have the money and want a as close to dead on 61 the VOS is a Gem I Just bought a Regular 61 Standard made in 2007 and it is sweet one peace body and more like a VOS I have to say any 6i Gibson Les Paul beat to hell or new is a Good axe to have they never say no to a good time and will never brake your Sholder I have never cared fo the Next versions of the SG with the Bat wing pick guird not that there is any thing wrong with them they just feel different to me and not as prnonced in the Bevels but they all do one thing no other AXE will do Chime like a Brass Bell never had a bad one or tuning problums I hope this was helpfull I think all of us Six String AXEahalics should have one as there is nothing that comes close:)

I have a custom shop SG standard, VOS....and would really appreciate it if someone could explain the deal is with the overhanging pickguard.

Is the tip supposed to hang over the edge at the bevel next to the switch?

thanks,

Rick

that is so retarded but it guess that makes it historic lol... they should come out with a Norlin Series to showcase their horrendous design foibles in the 70s/80s.

VOS = Vintage Original Spec

Also, think about what kind of bevelling/tapering you are after, too. And be sure to get pics/assurance that it is what you want if you are buying sight-unseen.

Do you want extreme bevelling to the pickguard, or not? I have seen 61RI's with extreme beveling, and without.

Do you want tapered horns? I have seen untapered horns on the CS model at a shop nearby, if I remember correctly.

There was a guy on here a while back who had both models and posted pics of the differences in neck joints and tapering/bevelling.

It seems to change. I don't know if by year, or by how much beveling the guy at the shop was willing to put in that day.

But I would get assurance it has the features you want before buying without seeing it first.

Archived