Gibson Brands Forums

1996 Gibon Chet Atkins SST "Cracks?"

biggerwhiskey

Hello, 

I recently inherited a 1996 SST (Serial # 91666584)

The guitar plays beautifully and I LOVE it….but I noticed that throughout the top of the body, it has these raised lines (as shown below)…almost as if the top coat finish of paint is cracking (but has not physically cracked through the paint)….You CAN feel the lines when you rub your fingers over them….As far as I know, the guitar has never been dropped and shows NO signs of any other damage…

I am just curious if you can tell me what this is from? 

It doesn’t bother me - I just wanted to know if this is something that they were known to do after 25 or so years - and last but not least - is there any way to fix it IF it does finally crack through the finish of the guitar?

Thank you so much for any info!

sst.jpg

• Like 1

I think (a little hard to tell from a photo) that is what is commonly referred to as "checking".  It happens usually from extreme temperature change.  The guitar is transported from somewhere in winter and it's very cold outside.  Then it's brought inside and warms up too quickly so the wood and the finish expand/contract at different rates causing the cracks in the finish.  It is common and occurs more the older the instrument is.  Really nothing to worry about, just doesn't always look that nice.  Not really fixable unless you refinish the entire guitar.  Some feel it adds character to the guitar.  As long as it plays good and sounds good I wouldn't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

I tried to get another photo....they are hard to get photos of - but they run all over the top of the body...some close to together, some longer than others....not just behind the bridge....not sure that makes a difference?

17 minutes ago, rct said:

That's not checking.  That's either glue joints(too many too close so probably not), or the bridge pulling up and causing the grain to open.  If you can feel them that probably isn't good.

rct

crack2.jpg

28 minutes ago, rct said:

You can feel them all?  That's not real good.  Not grain filled right maybe.  Weird.

rct

No, I can only feel some of the bigger ones - they are all over the top, but can only see at the right angle / light....I’d guess there are 20 or so....

15 hours ago, rct said:

The short answer is yes, you could have it refinished and yes, it will be expensive.

rct

Whats "expensive" if you had to guess....and would it look like new? I do NOT want to refinish it unless the actual top layer was to actually crack through.....with that being said, would they be able to retain the Chet Atkins signature if they sanded it down and refinished? I do not know much about the process....thanks so much - this is a great forum!

7 minutes ago, biggerwhiskey said:

Whats "expensive" if you had to guess....and would it look like new? I do NOT want to refinish it unless the actual top layer was to actually crack through.....with that being said, would they be able to retain the Chet Atkins signature if they sanded it down and refinished? I do not know much about the process....thanks so much - this is a great forum!

There is one spot that looks like something ran into it, or it ran into something. It doesn't look like finish checking. Your best bet is to take it to a luthier and get the low down.

2 hours ago, biggerwhiskey said:

If I were you, and I'm not, I would not refinish that guitar.  If you are going to hang on to it the rest of your life and play it and enjoy it I would do that knowing that one day those lines may become full on cracks.  If you are not going to hang on to it I would sell it on in the condition it is in, let the next guy worry about it.  You won't get a whole lot for it like that compared to super clean mint versions of the same year, but you'll have moved it and the headache it could present along to someone who wants to and can deal with it if needed.

First you'd have to find someone to paint it in your area.  Good luck with that, not easy to find.  If Indoor Storm is still down there you could start by showing it to them and asking whom they know that could handle such a paint job. If Indoor Storm is no longer around, I have no idea.   As for the signature, I have no idea.

rct

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Combining some of the input in this thread ... IMO:

1. Take it to a good luthier for an inspection and opinion 

2.  If it doesn't take away from the "playability" of the instrument and won't cause problems down the road - I would personally keep it just like that.  

Option #3 call Pete Townshend.