Gibson Brands Forums

awesome deal... or is it.......?

RS1976

I wanted a Joan Jett Melody maker. so i did some shoppin around...

a certain company henceforth known as BIGSTORE that offers in-store financing says 12 months no interest... great! Now... BIGSTORE also says they'll match any competitors price & give you 10% of the difference.

so I see the Joan Jett Melody Maker for $110.00 Cheaper somewhere else... the BIGSTORE is made aware, and actually honors their claim! YAY!!!

so I put down $100 of my own money, and the balance due on the 'BIG STORE' credit card is $529.

well 2 weeks go by. and BIGSTORE still haven't got my axe... i head down to BIGSTORE... and meet with a manager. The manager hears my complaint, and to his credit, puts in a call to GIBSON right in front of me. speakerphone & all. due to human error the order was in some sort of limbo, and finally got shipped.

when i explained that I'd like to respectfully take my business elsewhere, the manager made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He took off an additional $70 bucks. and applied it to anything I wanted. i.e. 'cash refund, refund to credit card, store credit' and so on.

Needless to say, I elected to have the refund placed towards the credit card. thereby bringing my total to... $559.00 OTD

now... if the guitar would just get here.....

I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience at BIGSTORE.

No sh!t.

Way to go' date=' stick to your guns and make 'em come thru.

You're my hero!

:-)

BIGSTORE has a million ways to ([b']censored[/b]) you if you'll let 'em and I fear this may have been their motive.

You mentioned credit card?

Their credit card?

Let me throw two hats into the ring here - if I'm wrong on both, okay. If I'm right, beware...

They very likely NEVER ordered the guitar.

Their hope was that they would locate one in another store and do an inventory swap between stores.

God knows what your "new" guitar might have been thru before you got it - bought and returned, etc....

Buying one on the spot from Gibson costs them more money.

In addition to the aforementioned scenario, using the BIGSTORE credit card will get you (censored) BIG time.

You have a certain amount of time before your 'grace period' expires and any unpaid balance on the account grows like an Obama stimulus package. ALL interest is retroactive, at a VERY, VERY high rate.

If you're fool enough to patiently wait for the guitar then let the balance ride just a little longer...

The price will double, you commited to it, and you have no choice in paying the balance.

If not, they will DESTROY your credit.

They do BOTH of these things all the time - watch the YouTube link in my signature.

:-)

oh yeah. i'm hip to the credit card game.... with any place of retail. not just BIGSTORE... The gig/secret is to simply make the payments. and make them early and always more than the required amount. Keep solid reccords, and just as soon as the item is paid for. cancel the card!!!

Don't cancel the card. That goes against you in your credit record. Just don't use it again' date=' unless they come up with another really great deal.[/quote']

Dyna is right. I thought I was doing the right thing a few years ago when I paid off a number of cards and then canceled everyone. I found out later, while trying to refinance that it actually hurt my credit score. Go figure.

Yeah, cancelling all your available credit flags you.

Cancelling what amounts to a department store card is no big deal though.

They want to see that you have plenty of available credit, but you don't utilize more than half of it.

Their statistics show you're a safe credit risk with plenty of unused credit over several years.

Maxed cards or no available credit is a bad indicator.

It's all done with 40 years of statistical data, hard to argue with those choosing to lend you money.

My FICO score is well above 700 though I don't have a single credit card.

My wife is higher and she has two.

I can tell you a thing or two about having your credit destroyed.

After a two year divorce war, custody battle, bankruptcy and IRS sh!t that lingered for years - I've BEEN there.

It was a long road back....

Archived