Gibson Brands Forums

A Life Affirming Purchase

SteveFord

Thank you.

You know, the Esteemed sparquelito had an awful lot to do with this purchase.  I seem to recall you having a photo with a black or blue single cutaway hollow body and I always thought that was such a classy looking guitar.  Every time I'd see that picture I'd get to thinking about how cool looking those big things are.

Then an ES-175 would pop up here every so often and I remember how beautiful that one my buddy had was back in the late 70s, they're just so elegant looking.

Then someone started posting about wanting a Byrdland which got me thinking about things that are way out of my price range and then Gibson has a video out with George Thorogood and he uses a single cutaway hollow body and he always just sounds great.

And whatever model Lenny showed me (a blue 135?) made my eyes pop out and then the ES330 that they just came out with got me poking around for P90 hollow bodies but maybe a single cutaway.

Well, I didn't get a Byrdland or a P90 hollow body or something with a trapeze tail piece but that's how it came about.  A whole mishmash of ideas in my head and what the hell is that thing?  I don't think I've ever seen that model before...

Well it looks great in person and I'm sure you're enjoying the tone.  I think the Mahogany center block may be one reason it sounds more like a Les Paul than other semi-hollows.  My 356 is made from a solid block of mahogany for the back sides and center (there is no block - it is all one piece) with a carved maple top and it can sound almost exactly like a Les Paul.  I think the mahogany/maple combination is important to get that tone.  But then there are people that will argue all you're hearing is the pickups and tone woods make no difference with an electric.  I personally don't buy into that but to each his own.

Anyway a great looking guitar and another model that Gibson probably could have sold a lot more of, but it's their company so they can do what they want (discontinue it).  Consider your life - affirmed!

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:52 PM, SteveFord said:

No although I did spend some time drooling over the 330s but I decided to go with something a little different.

I'd been looking at ES-Les Pauls but decided that they would probably feel too small and I understand they're balsa wood light and like the looks of the ES-175 but think they're really more for the jazz crowd and like the look of the Byrdlands but they're too expensive when I happened to stumble across the ES-137 Custom.

This is a 2005 case queen, ebony fret board, cat eye fret markers which I've never had and I've always wanted a Gibson with the split diamond headstock inlay but never had one.  This looks pretty interesting...

Then I spied the coveted Tone Suck Control and well, there goes my self control out the window.

Tone?  We don't need no steenkin' tone!!!

With any luck, it'll arrive mid to late next week and I'll take some better photos.  It's supposedly a tobacco sunburst so we'll see.  Looks kind of butterscotch in these photos.

OjscRRy.jpguQD57mL.jpg

That is a beauty.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 11:40 AM, SteveFord said:

That's a thought but nope.  I'm too addicted to mountains of junk.

Forget sitting out in the sun, it's freezing out there.  What the hell happened to Spring?  

This is April 14 and its still cold here. Deb said the news is predicting more snow. We're getting lots of cold winds. 

On 4/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, SteveFord said:

No although I did spend some time drooling over the 330s but I decided to go with something a little different.

I'd been looking at ES-Les Pauls but decided that they would probably feel too small and I understand they're balsa wood light and like the looks of the ES-175 but think they're really more for the jazz crowd and like the look of the Byrdlands but they're too expensive when I happened to stumble across the ES-137 Custom.

This is a 2005 case queen, ebony fret board, cat eye fret markers which I've never had and I've always wanted a Gibson with the split diamond headstock inlay but never had one.  This looks pretty interesting...

Then I spied the coveted Tone Suck Control and well, there goes my self control out the window.

Tone?  We don't need no steenkin' tone!!!

With any luck, it'll arrive mid to late next week and I'll take some better photos.  It's supposedly a tobacco sunburst so we'll see.  Looks kind of butterscotch in these photos.

OjscRRy.jpguQD57mL.jpg

Is that quilt finish? Looks like it?