Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Songwriter Performer

will97

I would not worry about what is considered iconic, has greater market appeal or whatever.  There are only two kinds of guitars out there - those you like and those you do not.  

As to a price tag check the usual suspects such as Reverb and completed eBay auctions.  They should tell you what folks are willing to pay for one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

He asked about value, not if he likes the guitar.

Exactly.    Again, there are no good reasons not to buy a guitar other than it ain't your cup of tea or you cannot afford it.   I just did a quick look and found a couple which have sold on Reverb.  It is as good a place as any to start.

Edited by zombywoof

11 hours ago, will66 said:

Does anyone have any more information on this guitar? About to pull the trigger on one and I have no idea about its value.

It's a Ren Ferguson designed dreadnought.   The rosewood burst is stunning.  Looks like you could get a new one at a considerable discount if that's the sort of "value" you're talking about.  I'm not sure what Raul is going on about.  I expect the Songwriter "holds its value" about as good as any other higher-end guitar.  But the idea is to get one and play it, not to get one and sell it.  My rosewood burst Songwriter 12-string is flawless, with great balance and projection.

I'm guessing what Raul is saying - is that Songwriters don't 'hold their value'  at the same rate the more recognizable models do:  A concept that applies to many items from cars to watches to toys.   But, as has been said -  don't buy a guitar based on what you can sell it for - unless you think it's an 'investment'.   The one in the OP photo - is stunning.  But, for real 'advice'  regarding 'value' -  more specific info would be needed: price being paid and  details about the actual guitar. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'm guessing what Raul is saying - is that Songwriters don't 'hold their value'  at the same rate the more recognizable models do:  A concept that applies to many items from cars to watches to toys.   But, as has been said -  don't buy a guitar based on what you can sell it for - unless you think it's an 'investment'.   The one in the OP photo - is stunning.  But, for real 'advice'  regarding 'value' -  more specific info would be needed: price being paid and  details about the actual guitar. 

That was the thinking. Admit there are many different ways to look at value, also. Unless a guitar speculator to resell for a profit, most plan for this guitar to be the one. If the needs of the player change, a more popular model will be easier to sell. How many threads are on this forum for the Songwriter or the Hummingbird Pro? Last Songwriter post = four pages back, one month ago. Number of replies = 0.

The Songwriter in post #1 looks very nice. Of course we do not know if it will be a good match for will66, or how important it is for the guitar to match his needs exactly, or if his needs will change with time. 

If by value it is asked if this guitar is a good price, what is the number? Zombywoof has the good idea to check other sites for info, but remember delays at factories have helped prices of guitar sales.

1 hour ago, will66 said:

Thanks for the insight guys. I was interested because I traded a Gibson J-15 and $400 for the songwriter and was wondering if it was a fair trade. 

That seems like a reasonable trade to me.