Gibson Brands Forums

Sellers Remorse

Twang Gang

So I sold my Taylor 816 BE this morning to a local fellow.  It was this one with the sound port cutaway:

4lSK391.jpgWhat is uncanny about this guitar is the difference in the sound between when you are playing it, and when you are sitting in front of it while someone else plays it.  I was a bit underwhelmed by it, and didn't play it that much but felt it probably sounded better out front than it did holding it.  I had never heard anyone else play it.  We had arranged to meet near my house, but it was raining and the guy looked normal and  harmless so I had him follow me to my house so we could go inside to play it.  He was a very good player and I was amazed how wonderful the guitar sounded when he played it.  I knew he wasn't hearing the same thing so I also played it for him so he could hear it the way an audience would.  He had an earlier model Taylor that was stolen from his house and was looking to replace that.  I think he was pretty intent on buying it and then when he heard me play it he was sold!

It sounded so good when he played it to me that I almost didn't want to let it go.  But I knew I would never hear the same thing when I was behind the soundport and that was the reason I didn't play it that often.  Really a shame that the guitar sounds so great, but the person playing it doesn't get to hear what the audience hears.  So it's gone to a good home and I have some cash and since I have the mahogany and the rosewood guitars covered I am thinking about something in maple 🙂

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

So I sold my Taylor 816 BE this morning to a local fellow.  It was this one with the sound port cutaway:

4lSK391.jpgWhat is uncanny about this guitar is the difference in the sound between when you are playing it, and when you are sitting in front of it while someone else plays it.  I was a bit underwhelmed by it, and didn't play it that much but felt it probably sounded better out front than it did holding it.  I had never heard anyone else play it.  We had arranged to meet near my house, but it was raining and the guy looked normal and  harmless so I had him follow me to my house so we could go inside to play it.  He was a very good player and I was amazed how wonderful the guitar sounded when he played it.  I knew he wasn't hearing the same thing so I also played it for him so he could hear it the way an audience would.  He had an earlier model Taylor that was stolen from his house and was looking to replace that.  I think he was pretty intent on buying it and then when he heard me play it he was sold!

It sounded so good when he played it to me that I almost didn't want to let it go.  But I knew I would never hear the same thing when I was behind the soundport and that was the reason I didn't play it that often.  Really a shame that the guitar sounds so great, but the person playing it doesn't get to hear what the audience hears.  So it's gone to a good home and I have some cash and since I have the mahogany and the rosewood guitars covered I am thinking about something in maple 🙂

Same with singing, you don’t hear yourself how you really sound.. The Audience does.. Although with Headphones or In Ear Monitors you can… Guitar too..

All of my acoustics are broken cause they have the one big round hole, that Taylor was double broken with two holes.

Taylor's to me are nice to look at but they never rocked my boat.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Nice looking axe, TWANG.   But then, I've always been a sucker for acoustics with a Florentine cutaway.    I think it's a Taylor( model unknown to me) that LISA LOEB plays in a Geico  commercial.  [wink]

Whitefang

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Nice looking axe, TWANG.   But then, I've always been a sucker for acoustics with a Florentine cutaway.    I think it's a Taylor( model unknown to me) that LISA LOEB plays in a Geico  commercial.  [wink]

Whitefang

The word Taylor on the headstock was what gave it away . . . huh?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The word Taylor on the headstock was what gave it away . . . huh?

Which isn't apparent when viewed on the TV screen.  Didn't notice it until posting the clip, but by that time I was "committed"  and soon might be if this keeps up.  [wink]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Which isn't apparent when viewed on the TV screen.  Ddn't notice it until posting the clip, but by that time I was "committed"  and soon might be if this keeps up.  [wink]

Whitefang

You have to be at least 3/4 nuts to be on this forum and endure the endless barrage of the same repetitive posts over and over.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, Larsongs said:

Same with singing, you don’t hear yourself how you really sound.. The Audience does.. Although with Headphones or In Ear Monitors you can… Guitar too..

I know what you are saying Lar, but this is a little different.  The last band I was in we practiced in a condo and everything was run into earphones (electronic drums), all instruments and vocals.  If you play an acoustic through some sort of amp or processor and listen in earbuds you are hearing what the pickup in the guitar (and amp) is putting out.  I'm talking about the unplugged sound of this guitar.  I'd guess that 85% of the sound comes out the main sound hole and the other 15% comes through the little sound port (not sure what the real percentage is but you get the idea).  The sound port is pointed sort of down and away from you when you are playing and you don't hear the combination of both sound holes.  The air moves differently around this guitar because of the two sound holes and the effect is great if you're out in front of the guitar and can hear the effect both have.  If you are ever in a guitar shop and they have one of these, play it, and then ask the salesperson to play it.  You will be amazed at the difference you hear when you are out in front of it.  It's a great tone, but it is pretty much lost on the guy playing it - which is really why I decided to sell it.  As the player I didn't get to hear the benefit of the design and what it does.

• Like 1

I certainly get that.  Back in the "day", when I was in a band, we only had the other guitar player's cheap, small early model portable cassette recorder (New on the market as it was 1968) to record on.  I thought my voice was bad enough, but hearing a recording of it was as painful as the pain it sounded like I was in on those recordings!  [wink][laugh]

And I did mention before(somewhere) that my old Epi sounded better to me when I sat opposite from someone else who was playing it. (And I don't mean just the guy's playing. [wink]).

Whitefang

21 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I know what you are saying Lar, but this is a little different.  The last band I was in we practiced in a condo and everything was run into earphones (electronic drums), all instruments and vocals.  If you play an acoustic through some sort of amp or processor and listen in earbuds you are hearing what the pickup in the guitar (and amp) is putting out.  I'm talking about the unplugged sound of this guitar.  I'd guess that 85% of the sound comes out the main sound hole and the other 15% comes through the little sound port (not sure what the real percentage is but you get the idea).  The sound port is pointed sort of down and away from you when you are playing and you don't hear the combination of both sound holes.  The air moves differently around this guitar because of the two sound holes and the effect is great if you're out in front of the guitar and can hear the effect both have.  If you are ever in a guitar shop and they have one of these, play it, and then ask the salesperson to play it.  You will be amazed at the difference you hear when you are out in front of it.  It's a great tone, but it is pretty much lost on the guy playing it - which is really why I decided to sell it.  As the player I didn't get to hear the benefit of the design and what it does.

I hear what you’re saying…. I’ll have to try one….