Gibson Brands Forums

help me! my J-45 legend

damien0323

I am J-45 Legend 2016 user.
The 2006-2012 Legend models I've seen don't have a red label in the soundhole, but my guitar have it.
I'm curious about the difference between my guitar and the previous Legend model.
There doesn't seem to be much difference in specs.

I'm not even sure if my guitar is made in-house at Gibson's headquarters, or if it's Fuller's Guitars Limited Edition.
The answer to the inquiry by serial number to Gibson headquarters is as follows.
"The serial number is consistent with a model made at the Gibson Acoustic factory in Bozeman"

Does that mean this answer is not Fuller's Guitars Limited Edition?
Or is Fuller's Guitars Limited Edition also made by Gibson Acoustic factory in Bozeman?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I have too many questions.

[꾸미기]레드라벨.jpg

Edited by damien0323

3 hours ago, damien0323 said:

Or is Fuller's Guitars Limited Edition also made by Gibson Acoustic factory in Bozeman?

Yes. All Gibson acoustics are made in Bozeman Montana.

Fuller's is just a store. Sometimes store's have special / limited edition production runs made for them. 

7 hours ago, damien0323 said:

I am J-45 Legend 2016 user.
The 2006-2012 Legend models I've seen don't have a red label in the soundhole, but my guitar have it.
I'm curious about the difference between my guitar and the previous Legend model.
There doesn't seem to be much difference in specs.

I'm not even sure if my guitar is made in-house at Gibson's headquarters, or if it's Fuller's Guitars Limited Edition.
The answer to the inquiry by serial number to Gibson headquarters is as follows.
"The serial number is consistent with a model made at the Gibson Acoustic factory in Bozeman"

Does that mean this answer is not Fuller's Guitars Limited Edition?

I wonder if my guitar was released directly by Gibson headquarters or if it was made by requesting customization at a guitar shop or other place.

Also, I wonder what is the difference between my guitar and the legendary guitar without the red label.

Sorry for asking so many questions. I have too many questions.

[꾸미기]레드라벨.jpg

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Yes. All Gibson acoustics are made in Bozeman Montana.

Fuller's is just a store. Sometimes store's have special / limited edition production runs made for them. 

Every guitar is made in Montana! Now I wonder if my guitar is a model released directly by Gibson headquarters or a guitar customized by another shop. Thanks to your kind reply, I got good information. Thank you.

49 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Could we see some photos of the front of the guitar, the back of the guitar, and of both sides of the headstock?

I'm curious about the Limited Edition run of 34 units aspect of this situation. 

😉

I have my guitar stored in the guitar shop for a while now. If the guitar comes, I'll take a picture and show it to you.

15 minutes ago, damien0323 said:

Every guitar is made in Montana! Now I wonder if my guitar is a model released directly by Gibson headquarters or a guitar customized by another shop. Thanks to your kind reply, I got good information. Thank you.

No, the guitar will not be customised by the shop, nor modified in any way by the shop. 

Label color use to be orange for all, then Montana shifted to white for standard and orange for custom or other not-standards.   There are several possible things a Gibson Five Star Dealer can ask to be changed to make a guitar 'Special Order".  Usually they have to get a run of 50 - but the 'specialness' might only be the coloration in the face, the pickguard or the bracing. Marker dots, tuners, rosette, etc. Some things that might not even be described on the "Specifications Sheet" that comes with the new guitar.  Of course, if it were a major change - like back/sides tone wood - it would be noted.  But a major change is unlikely:  If they used maple or Koa for example, it is unlikely they'd call it a Legend.  More like a J45 Custom.  Your best bet is to contact the Retailer that placed the order for this run of 34 'limited edition'  J45 and ask them what they tweaked to make it a special, limited, Legend.   I personally would not bother.  It was likely not something that would make yours more valuable or desirable than a regular Legend.   G'Luck. 

5 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Label color use to be orange for all, then Montana shifted to white for standard and orange for custom or other not-standards.   There are several possible things a Gibson Five Star Dealer can ask to be changed to make a guitar 'Special Order".  Usually they have to get a run of 50 - but the 'specialness' might only be the coloration in the face, the pickguard or the bracing. Marker dots, tuners, rosette, etc. Some things that might not even be described on the "Specifications Sheet" that comes with the new guitar.  Of course, if it were a major change - like back/sides tone wood - it would be noted.  But a major change is unlikely:  If they used maple or Koa for example, it is unlikely they'd call it a Legend.  More like a J45 Custom.  Your best bet is to contact the Retailer that placed the order for this run of 34 'limited edition'  J45 and ask them what they tweaked to make it a special, limited, Legend.   I personally would not bother.  It was likely not something that would make yours more valuable or desirable than a regular Legend.   G'Luck. 

These days there are so many great new Guitars being produced about the only way it would become super valuable is if you become a Famous Artist & in 50 years after you’re gone they sell it at Auction… Buy it to play, enjoy & because you like it… Forget about high future Monetary Appreciation…. If it happens great, if not, you had a good time…

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Legend. The early ones were an attempt to replicate Eldon Whitford’s J45 . They even resurrected machines from Kalamazoo to duplicate the saw marks on the bracing. Later, they started using the Legend model name on less accurate reproductions, but still very good guitars. My legend only has the ink stamping on the neck block. No labels, no decals.