Gibson Brands Forums

Do Any Of You Travel In An RV/Trailer/5th Wheel/Motor Home?

DanvillRob

Do any of you travel in a motor home to gigs?

Many years ago the company I worked for made chassis for motor homes (among other things).

Chuck Berry had a motor home that caught fire on the highway.   He got out with only his guitar.

I'd say this is about 1985 or 86.

The insurance company refused to pay for it because it was insured as a 'private vehicle' and he was using it for 'business'!

Of course, Chuck could (and did) buy another one to replace it...I wonder how many other artists got caught this way.

I'm sure the big buses the big names use and properly insured...but I was wondering about the 'over the hill' types.

I have never had any interest in traveling in one, but my wife is enamored with the notion of renting one when next we wish to travel any appreciable distance. 

Her idea is to carry the dogs with us so that they won't have to be kenneled, and so that we won't miss them while we are away. 

Yeah. 
We're crazy dog people. 

😗

2 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I have never had any interest in traveling in one, but my wife is enamored with the notion of renting one when next we wish to travel any appreciable distance. 

Her idea is to carry the dogs with us so that they won't have to be kenneled, and so that we won't miss them while we are away. 

Yeah. 
We're crazy dog people. 

😗

We actually bought ours solely for taking dogs to the dog shows…so we’re crazy dog people too!

• Like 1

Had campers for many years but sold ours last fall. All my kids have fairly large ones so we go with them now. About thirty years ago my wife's sister and her husband bought 30 acres near Rugby, TN. Just down the road i bought 9 acres. The plan was to start a campground on the large tract and build a couple houses to live in on the small one. Not too long after getting things going, he was transferred from Ohio to North Carolina and things just fell apart after that unfortunately. They sold their acreage but i kept ours and we used it for camping trips for anyone that wanted to go. As i recall the biggest group we had at one time was ten campers and 38 people. Lots of good memories for the kids!

Put the property on the market a few months ago. My body doesn't want to cooperate any more!

We've crossed the country the years 03, 08, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 19.  And I probably missed on after 14, but not 15 definitely.

Anyway no, no camper/rv for us.  Good size SUV or van, hotels.  We've seen first hand the problems for the RV crowd at the national parks so we've never gone for it.  It would be fun, just not for us.

rct

edit:  Yes, 2016 we crossed the country.

Edited by rct
  • Sad 1

I had an Aunt and Uncle who back in the late '60's closed her business( a small Kowalski store), sold their house and everything in it and got a Winnebago and set off to do the Steinbeck "Travels With Charley" thing.  They kept at it from '69 to '86 and finally settled in Boulder Colorado.  They're both long gone now.  They were a great couple of people, and were my favorite Aunt and Uncle.  Well really, GRAND Aunt and Uncle, him being my Grandmother's younger brother. 

I admired that aspect of them,  especially  since I don't think I could endure that kind of lifestyle.

Whitefang

9 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I had an Aunt and Uncle who back in the late '60's closed her business( a small Kowalski store), sold their house and everything in it and got a Winnebago and set off to do the Steinbeck "Travels With Charley" thing.  They kept at it from '69 to '86 and finally settled in Boulder Colorado.  They're both long gone now.  They were a great couple of people, and were my favorite Aunt and Uncle.  Well really, GRAND Aunt and Uncle, him being my Grandmother's younger brother. 

I admired that aspect of them,  especially  since I don't think I could endure that kind of lifestyle.

Whitefang

I have friends who are "Full-Timers".   They travel from coast to coast.....constantly..... he still works, (computer nerd).    We just went down to Monterey for 5 days with great friends.....brought my J-50 to inflict my playing and singing on all the campers there!    Heading up to Grants Pass, OR very soon to visit another friend there....My motor home is 19 years old, I bought it brand new in 2002.   We used it a LOT over the years....we didn't go far, but we went often, (showing Dogs).   At my age, I don't like to drive more than 200-250 miles a day....so going to Oregon is a 2-day drive each way.

May be an image of outdoors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Never got into that, but my partner Cherry did. She went out and bought a new MH and used it all over the uk. Considering she'd never driven anything that size before that took some gumption I reckon. She's always loved them.

I don't know if the roads in the UK are as narrow as they are in Ireland.  If they are, driving one there would be a challenge!

13 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't know if the roads in the UK are as narrow as they are in Ireland.  If they are, driving one there would be a challenge!

They pretty much are, so you're right about that. She would've researched the routes pretty well beforehand.

Some areas worse than others. Example: I visited a friend in Devon. We were going about Dartmoor. He insisted we used his car & he drove. It became apparent why pretty quick, the narrow road on the moors meant squeezing past oncoming cars at a snails pace and constantly scratching paintwork on the gorse bushes. His car was scuffed up all over already.

Road.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by merciful-evans
pic

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

They pretty much are, so you're right about that. She would've researched the routes pretty well beforehand.

Some areas worse than others. Example: I visited a friend in Devon. We were going about Dartmoor. He insisted we used his car & he drove. It became apparent why pretty quick, the narrow road on the moors meant squeezing past oncoming cars at a snails pace and constantly scratching paintwork on the gorse bushes. His car was scuffed up all over already.

Road.gif&f=1&nofb=1

We traveled around Ireland in a small bus (buses and trucks or Lorries, as skinnier there than they are in the US., (100" - 2.55 meters vs 102" not counting mirrors, etc.), so our driver often pulled over as far as he could to let another bus go by.   I sure wouldn't want to drive a big vehicle there!